Dancing among the Stars 46

The next few days were very busy as the serpiente people began preparing for the festival that would celebrate the coming of the new full moon. Normally, it was only the serpiente that celebrated with the dancing, but Aisha had convinced a few avian to join as well, so now both cultures celebrated. Dances were practiced, merchants and shopkeepers prepared many goods to sell and the avian and serpiente were actually open to each other. Rose thought it was a beautiful way to bring the two closer and a good way to spend a warm spring night.

The days passed in a blur and the night of the festivities came around. Many people were bustling around putting up the final decorations and putting on the final touches for the evening.

A maid helped Rose by filling a tub with warm water and placing soap, bottles of hair lotion, and towels nearby. Rose quickly undressed and lowered into the steaming tub, sighing as her tired muscles relaxed. She ducked under the water and wet her hair then rubbed the hair lotions into lather and rinsed, with the soap she cleaned the dirt from her skin and washed. Stepping from the tub, dripping wet, she grabbed a towel and dried herself, shivering in the chilly air.

The maid later helped her into silk, dark blue slacks which flowed to paler blue just below the knees, and a white silk shirt with long flowing sleeves, the hem trimmed with silver. Looking at herself in the mirror, she sighed and let the maid brush and braid a ribbon into her black hair.

Glancing one last time at herself, she turned as the maid answered the door. Nyesh stood in the frame looking handsome in black slacks, a deep blue tunic and cream shirt. A smile crept to his lips as he saw Rose rise from her seat by the window. "Have you ever been so dressed up like this?" he asked, walking to her and taking her hands.

Rose laughed quietly, "It's too much?"

"No, just...you look wonderful that's all." he replied, running a hand through his hair.

Rose sighed, rolling her eyes, "Here," she took a comb and fixed his disheveled hair.

"Thanks."

Rose only smiled at him.

"Shouldn't we be getting down to the marketplace?" Nyesh asked, holding out his arm. Rose took it and both walked down to the marketplace, where crowds of people were gathered.

Tonight, as well as the regular dances, the Namir-da was supposed to be preformed. Originally, Oliza was supposed to dance it tonight with Nassin, but since his death she had refused. Salem had volunteered to dance it with Namid, as a replacement and Oliza had arranged Aisha to teach Namid.

The Namir-da danced tonight would also include some of the Lupine movements, so many were anxious to see the culture of the Lupine...

Rose knew it was going to be a special night.