Graceland

My new hideout was nothing more than a memory from my childhood. The place, once called a second home, was founded when my friend Rose and I were around 6 or 7 years old. At that time, we had murdered the owners of the place; therefore, it only needed a little fixing up. Soon enough, Kane joined our little project, and the apartment became what the three of us referred to as our Graceland.

In the past, when we all got along, Graceland was a place where none of us had to be scared of abuse, kidnapping or stress. Sometimes it was even a home for me, along with Rose and Kane. A shelter as we would hide from our lives, the authorizes, and at times, our parents, in the little apartment. There was a kitchen connected to the living room, two bedrooms, and a bathroom. Graceland was not a bad set up when we were all still friends and got along.

The door creaked slowly as I turned the rusty handle. Darkness made it impossible to see most of the apartment. I doubt there was any electricity in the place, as none of us usually paid for anything. I turned on my phone light to see a cloud of grey dust covering everything in the apartment. "Oh boy." I sigh, realizing how much work I have in front of me. Maybe I could threaten some civilian to clean the place up for me. Hmm, that would require me to kill them in fear they would give away my location to the authorities. I decided to think about that later as I closed the door behind me. The movement from the door closing sent dust in my face, making me cough. "Fuck." I run to the window, opening it wide for some fresh air. The moonlight from the window helped bring in more lighting, which revealed a lot more tarnished looking home then I last remembered. "It's gonna be a long night." I sigh, leaning back on the window sill.

Our home looked abandoned, as if untouched for a few years. Decks of cards were still spread out across the table. They were Kane's from when he insisted on learning magic tricks. The burn marks on the edges of the kitchen table, those were my doing. He failed to mention to me how the cards could ignite upon picking them up a certain way. Due to that and one other incident, Kane does not use many magic tricks in his work. A couple weeks into pursuing this hobby of his an "accident" occurred involving Rose's plants. The drama led to an immediate cease of his annoying magic tricks. I would never admit to knowing something about this accident, considering neither of them ever expected foul play.

Across from the table, Rose's plants were aligned beside the main window. She would be pissed if she found them in the state they were left. Her plants were withered, warped, an awful dark brown color. I am not a plant expert, but even I knew they were dead.

Of course I contributed to the mess too, it wasn't all just Rose's plants and Kane's toys. My half created inventions were sprinkled throughout the house and rotting away. The metal gadgets had been left near an open window, which over the course of a few years left them rusty. I doubt any of them actually functioned anymore. In the corner of the room there was a pile of my failed machines and some extra parts. Let's just say being a mechanical genius did not always come naturally to me. I move towards the pile, picking up what my 5 year old self would call a blinding ball. I sigh, shaking my head in disbelief. The blinding ball was the first of many failed gadgets I tried to make at the start of my villain legacy. The ball was supposed to shoot out lasers randomly at your enemy. I laugh, remembering the time when Kane found it.

~Flashback~

Kane had just returned from a heist on his own. He was cranky because it did not go the way he wanted it to. Tired and hungry, he didn't have time to deal with all of Enigma's inventions that were cluttering his table.

"And she says I'm the messy one." The little boy groans, before having a sly idea. He would show her, but first...

"Em, you need to stop leaving your crap all over the place!" Kane called out, hoping she would fail to reply. If she did not answer within a minute or two he would set his plan into action. One minute, two minutes, going on three and still no smart ass answer. Kane decided that meant he could mess with her. His plan was to hide all her projects, and when she wanted to find them, make her beg him for his help. An evil smirk came across Kane's face, laughing as he started to clean up her mess.