Two

I hear the chattering voices as soon as I get near the house, and so I follow them round the side terrace to the back patio by the pool.

Tash is curled up in Greg's lap on the patio sofa, her hair piled on top of her head looking tanned and sleepy.  Nick is lying flat on his back on a sun lounger by the pool using lots of hand gestures to make a point.

"Yeah but the problem is Tash, he never did anything he said he was going to do - Guantanamo being the prime example. He ended up being like every other politician on the planet, turning his back on the entire foundation of what he stood on. He did nothing. He let people down."  Nick sounds exasperated. Greg nods, agreeing.

"Yes but the point little brother," She sighs. "Is that a country still hugely divided by racism, elected a black bloody president! That's the point.  If you can't see the enormity of that paradigm shift then you're being a twat!" she's frustrated now. Nick always frustrates Tash when ever they discuss politics.

"Well of course I'm a twat Tash but that doesn't mean he should have used his race to get the black vote and then do nothing with it. Do you honestly think life for the ordinary black person in America improved in anyway whatsoever just by him becoming president? Arguably it got worse." Nick is sitting up now and the two of them are facing off.

Nick and Tash both have very strong opinions about things- all us Marlowes do I guess, but they get so riled up-especially when there is wine involved. When we were younger it used to be about silly things, like what we'd have for dinner, who had to stay home with me when mum and dad went out, who got the attic room when their friends stayed over.

Normally I just let them go at it. The winner of these bouts is roughly even to my count. Nick looks to be winning this one from where I'm standing but it's early yet.

Greg spots me as I come closer and he gives me a knowing smile. My sister's husband is an attractive, tall American and he looks very American - in that he's blonde, broad shouldered, plays sports and has a perfect white smile.

He grew up in Santa Barbara and works for a large law firm based in LA who came in to takeover Tash's smaller firm in London. They fell in love and he spirited her back to California with him where she now ran on the beach every morning and did pilates four days a week and lived the perfect life. 

I could almost hate him for taking her away if he wasn't so bloody perfect and lovely, and if he didn't worship her so hard.

"And you would know how the average black person in America feels because??" Tash asks him, voice high from wine and the frustratingly admirable way Nick has of arguing his point to the death.

"You guys really need to stay off politics. It's not good for this family." I smile as I come closer.

There are a few empty bottles of wine on the outdoor table and some fresh olives. God knows I'm full but I pop two into my mouth anyway. I'm an olive lover. Olives are one of those things that make my life better. People who don't like olives go down in my estimations immediately.  Actually I can't believe I never even found out if Jake was an olive lover or hater. Because yes, I could have dealt with the fact that he was some underworld drug kingpin if he'd liked olives.

"Oh its him Al, you know how he gets." Tash says, rolling her eyes. I smile and nod at her in agreement before turning to stick my tongue out at my brother.

"Only because your own argument is invalid and it kills you." He says lightly, calmly. Tash makes a growling noise and lifts a pillow from behind her and hits him with it.

"Alex why weren't you here to mediate? You're the sensible one." Greg asks, sounding bored.

"Becauseeeeee.." Tash drawls. "she was being romanced by the handsome French neighbour! Pierre... 'en chente.. Alex, est-ce que tu es aussi doux que tes yeux?" Her French is slurred and ridiculous but it makes me smile.