Eight

*****

"I am nothing without pretend. I know my thoughts, can't live with them. I am nothing without a man. I know my faults, but I cant hide them."- Civilian, by Wye Oak

*****

Rose

That night I cried. More than I should've. But don't we all? I broke down right after I heard the front door slam shut. He was gone. Had I let him slip away again?

I cried over him, over my past, and over the absence of my parents, who never came home that night. Eventually I cried myself to sleep.

When I woke up I was cold. I realized that I had opened a window last night, and a breeze had blown my covers off. I was up at 7:15 which was late for me, because I needed to be at school by 8.

Crap. I thought bitterly as I stumbled into the bathroom for a shower, but on my way I made the mistake of looking in the mirror. My hair was sticking up in all directions, my nose was bright pink and so were my cheeks, and my eyes were practically swollen shut.

I looked like a troll.

After my scorching hot shower, I got dressed, brushed my teeth, and ran out the door with an apple in my hand.

I honestly look forward to the day when I can sit down and eat breakfast like a normal person, but sadly teenagers don't get that luxury for a good for or five years, not counting summers.

I hadn't put on makeup, but to be honest who was I trying to impress? No one. I didn't care if I looked like satan, I was too tired and miserable to care.

I stumbled into school when the bell rang, and of course my first class was on the second floor. I ran through the halls trying to make it to my class.

I arrived panting like I was about to have a heart attack. I rushed to my seat, managing to drop my bag and see all of my books and papers go flying. I began to scramble to get my things when I heard someone snort as they walked past.

I looked around, it was James, who was followed by Andrea, who was holding onto him like a magnet.

"Here," Someone reached out to help me.

I looked up. It was one of the guys from the football team, but I didn't know who it was.

He was very handsome. He had caramel colored hair, and a slightly tanned complexion. Ever since I had met James, I tended to search people's eyes, subconsciously, and in his hazel colored eyes, I saw knowledge, and soulfulness. I could tell he was what my dad would call and old soul. Aside from his complexion, eyes, and hair, he had a very angular face.

Well, whoever it was helped get all my books and papers. When everything was stowed in my bag I looked at him again. "Thanks-"

"Nate." He said.

"Thank you Nate." I said with a small smile.

"No problem, Rose." He shrugged.

I took my seat in front of him.

Now why was James in this class? I asked myself.

When the teacher came in to call roll he seemed very surprised to see James as well. "Well, Mr. Knightley," He said clearing his throat. "Nice of you to join this class... for the first time this year."

James gave a sarcastic nod.

"He normally only comes to school by second or third period." I heard someone, Nate, whisper behind me. "He's not a morning person." He said with a small chuckle.