We Thought We Escaped

Começar do início

"Damon, Damon," she hushed his rambling and closed the space he'd created between them. "That sounds great, really, I want nothing more than to just spend time with you."

The frown that had settled on his face didn't let up, "then what's the problem?"

She hesitated, sensing the change in his demeanor, "we have to talk, all of us."

His jaw clenched as he silently nodded and moved away so that her hands that had been cupping his cheeks fell to her sides. Elena sighed as he walked out of the room tensely to where the others had already begun to gather. After a moment, she followed after him and caught up to his side.

He didn't look at her as his eyes stared coldly ahead of them. Gently she clasped his hand in hers and although he remained silent and stoic she instantly felt better as his hand squeezed hers in return.

All eyes moved to them as they entered the large living room. Elena's eyes immediately searched for her brother and she found him busying himself with starting a fireplace as the cold began to seep into the walls. Everyone else was there all except one original hybrid.

Her eyes moved to Caroline who was sitting beside Stefan. Her friend catching her gaze sent her a look that said she would explain later.

"Brother," Stefan acknowledged, probing his sibling for his mood. Elena could have easily told him it wasn't a good one but he would find that out for himself.

Damon rolled his eyes, "enough with the pleasantries."

Stefan leaned back uneasily in his chair deciding on how to word what he was about to say. He didn't have to be the one to tell Damon but it was silently agreed upon that he should be the one to do it. After all, he was his brother, if anyone had to endure his wrath it should be him.

"Rebekah was attacked today after you left the school."

Damon's expression didn't change.

The bronze haired vampire breathed in, "by werewolves."

His hold on Elena's hand stiffened as his piercing eyes snapped in the blonde's direction. She sat casually at the other end of the room with Matt standing behind her. His hand rested reassuringly on her shoulder and occasionally her cheek would nuzzle against it.

Her steel eyes beckoned him for a confrontation but, surprisingly, he remained silent.

"She fought back. She didn't have a choice. I don't think they know what we are, but I also don't think it will be long before they find out," Stefan continued calmly.

Damon's gaze stayed locked on Rebekah. They all held their breaths as he opened his mouth to speak. It wouldn't be the first time he said something to get himself on the wrong side of the original and certainly not the last. "Are you okay?"

She gaped, taken aback by his question. "I'm fine," she finally uttered out.

He nodded stiffly and said nothing more.

"What are we going to do?" Caroline asked before silence could settle.

There really is no good answer to that, Elena thought. They could pack up and leave throwing away the future they had sought out coming to this town or they could stay and risk creating enemies and getting hurt or worse.

"We see how it plays out," Stefan answered in his soothing and collected voice that he managed to keep while in a stressful time, "chances are we keep facing these problems even if we do leave. Everywhere we go there's going to be someone who was there before us and we just have to stake our claim."