xviii. display

« DISPLAY »

Lillian stepped inside the common room, her stomach clutched so tight she thought it was eating itself on the inside, wondering if she would still have time to catch up on everything she had missed that day. It was the second time Umbridge was not letting her eat dinner ever since the beginning of the year, however this time had been different, whenever she would write something it would appear not only on her left hand, but on the right one as well.

"Lillian?"

The teenager froze, instantly recognising the voice that had called her. She stuffed her hands in her pockets and slowly turned around, facing Ron who was standing beside the couch.

He looked hesitant, fully conscious that everyone who could be seen in the common room knew about their fight and was currently watching them, and stayed still, even if he wanted to go tell Umbridge what he thought about her detention's method.

"Hi."

"Hi," Ron answered, watching Lillian intently.

Unexpectedly, Ron saw Lillian breathe heavily and bite her lip as if she was trying not to do something and he soon understood —when he saw her eyes a little humid, that she was about to cry, as he could have suspected earlier that day.

His heart sunk in his chest because he knew that he was the one who created this situation and that he was the only one who could change it. He stepped forward, not even caring about anyone else, and wrapped his arms around her, Lillian doing the exact same, the two of them holding on for dear life, no words being spoken because no words were needed.

Everybody around them was smiling and Ginny had to stop Seamus from ruining the moment since he somehow thought it would have been appropriate to clap and cheer, even Fred and George didn't dare to say a word as they knew how important they were to one another.

After a few minutes, Lillian was the first one to speak, "You guys can look somewhere else, I know we're hot but still."

Ron laughed, soon followed by the rest of the Gryffindors who left the two alone, either going in their dormitories, or simply taking over their activities.

Lillian pulled away, quickly hiding her hands inside her pockets, still wondering if this was a peace-hug or just something that happened on the moment.

"I'm sorry about last time," Ron blurted, grabbing her hands in his own, "I should have never said this, I didn't even know your side of the story. I was just mad because you were distant and—"

"Ron, it's okay, don't apologise. You were right, I have been hiding things."

Ron was about to talk once more but stopped when he heard her admit she had been doing things on her own, "Why?"

"Because I didn't think it was important, I mean we all have to deal with a lot of things," Lillian explained, "I don't think I need to tell you what it is?"

"No, I know," Ron nodded, "And you can't tell me what you've been hiding?"

"No, but I will show you."

+ + +

Lillian stayed very secretive, only asking Harry, Ron and Hermione to join her in the Room of Requirement about ten minutes before everyone else from the DA would storm in for the weekly practice. She was ready to show them what she had been working on for over a month now.

"So, come on, just show us!" Harry exclaimed, a big smile on his face.

"Show us what?" Ron asked, still completely oblivious that Lillian was holding her wand strongly.