“Zartiyil!” I turned to see Odette running down the hall as fast as her legs could let her. Smiling I squat down and open my arms. Odette gladly runs into them and gives me a breath stopping hug. “I found you!” Odette sang out.

“You found me.”

“It seems like you have been avoiding me! I haven’t seen you in like….FOREVER!” Odette crosses her arms and puffs out her cheeks in that cute way she pouts when she is mad.

“I haven’t been avoiding you and it only been one day since we last saw you, silly.” I calmly state as I stand up. Odette refused to let go so she just dangled from my neck.

“Feels like forever…..so to make it to me I get to sleep with you tonight! No complaints! No bargains! No refusing!” Odette commanded as she pokes my nose.

“Yes madam.” I carry Odette into my room and place her in my bed. Dextu walks over and flops to his spot on the floor. I change into my nightclothes and crawl under the covers with Odette. We say our goodnight and I fell into what I hope is a dreamless sleep…

“Mama? Mama where are you?” I was running through the halls of my home, the Monastery but still no sight of my mother. Where is she?

“Yes Sophie my child? What is it? Did you get lonely?” The woman stepped from the shadows, her long black dress sweeping the floor. Her face had a couple of wrinkles on it, only proof that she was an oldie lady. I couldn’t see her hair but from her eyebrows I’m guessing she is a red head. She smiled at me. Her teeth are a pearly ray of white. So very pearly.

“Who are you?” I ask but the lady just smiles.

“What do you mean Sophie? It’s me I’m your Mama. Have you already gone and forgotten me you silly girl of mine?” The lady was my mama after all. Sometimes I forget. I don’t mean too, she tells me day after day she is my mama but I just keep forgetting.

“No Mama, I was only playing a game.” I stuck my tongue out at her and skipped away. My hair bounced as I skipped down the empty hall.

I don’t think she is my mama. She’s all I remember so far in my short life. But yet I feel that someone is missing. I don’t have a father, but all families have a mama and a daddy. So why don’t I?

“Because you cannot see.” The voice rang out from the shadows.

“W-who’s there?”

“Zartiyil, you know so much, yet know so little. You look so much, but see only the outer rims of life. There is so much to learn, but you refuse to see.” The voice stayed in the shadows but continued to taunt me.

“G-go away! I don’t like you! Go! Go!” I fall to the floor and cover my ears. I won’t let the voice be mean to me. It’s just being a bully!

“SO blind! So small! So defenseless!” The voice began to move closer from the shadows, its bright eyes stare at me. I shut my eyes so I won’t have to look.

“Go away! Go away! Go away!”

“So weak. So stuuuupid.” The way it slurs the last word sends chills down my spine.

“Please go! I don’t want you here anymore. Just go!” hear clack on the floor as the voice nears me. Now I hear it clearly, it’s the voice of a man yet so deep and full of so much hate.

“A war is coming, nothing can stop that. You will die. I will make sure of it myself.” The voice is so close to me, I feel hot breath on my face. It reeks of death and blood.

LEAVE ME ALONE!” I finally scream out at the voice.

Suddenly I feel this warm feeling. Like fluffy feathers are shielding me.

‘Wake up…you must wake up…”

I bolt upright in my bed. My chest was heaving and I was drenched in sweat. Odette was seemingly unaware of me state as she snuggled closer to Dextu, who seemed to have jumped into bed to join.

“Damn dreams…” I mutter to myself as I change out of my nightclothes. I lay them near my open window on the other side of my room. I quickly change into my regular red outfit. I trotted over kissed both Odette then Dextu on the head. As I open my door I find myself face to face with Minnie.

“Oh! Morning I made you-” Minnie began as she held out the tray.

“No time! Really sorry, but Odette will be glad to have it! Got to go.” I grab an apple from the tray and give her a smile. Which she returns and then quickly steps out of the way. I break into a run. Down the hall, around the corner, down the stairs, down another hall, then out the door. I repeat to myself as I head towards the archery field. As I run out onto the field I spot Jack leaning against one of the target. He was smoking some human thing called tobacco. In short it is disgusting and vile.

“You’re late Princess.” Jack calmly tells me as he blows out another puff of smoke.

“I know, and I’m sorry.”

“Okay, then now let’s get going. The horse you’ll be riding is ole Dolly. Right there.” Jack points to where two horses were standing. One of they was a dusty gray color with a blonde mane and tail. She looked old in her years but there was still a fire in her eyes. As if she was telling everyone, she may be old but she still got some more years in. “And the other is Odette’s horse. His name is Black Jack.” Jack walked over and patted the nose of the other horse. True to its name, the coat was a solid black.

“Black Jack?” I ask holding back a laugh.

“Yeah, Odette can’t ride him yet. She wasn’t happy about that and when she heard I was going to be riding him until then she was so mad. Named him Black Jack just to spite me.” Jack grumbled so I had to strain to hear him. “Just put your right foot into the stirrup. Grab hold of the mane and hoist yourself up. Like so.” Jack did so and began to get situated on the horse’s back.

I put my right foot in and hoisted myself up. No need to grab the poor girl’s hair. I can jump onto my brother’s back with ease. So this horse was no problem.

“Now let’s go.” Jack made a clucking noise and Black Jack moved at an even paced walk. I mimicked him and Dolly also moved forward.

“You do now Jack, that back home I rode my brother everywhere. If I can ride a dragon I’m sure a horse is no big deal for me.” I didn’t want to sound arrogant but it was true.

“Yeah I know but it doesn’t hurt to practice. Besides horseback riding is different than….” Jack and Black Jack both stopped suddenly. Jack mouth fell open as he gaped.

“Jack what’s wrong?” I asked but as I followed the direction his eyes were in I saw him.

He stood on our path with his hands on his hips. His hair was blonde and perfectly groomed back. His eyes were like Odette’s, a nice sky blue. But they lacked her shine; it gave me chills to look into. His clothes were white and gold. A sword with jewels in its handle was strapped to his side that he began to rest one of his hands on. On the top of his head was a gold crown with more jewels. Even though I had no idea who he was, I could tell two things about him. He had some high status and he was trouble.

“Now is that anyway to address me?” His voiced was almost musical in a sickly sweet sort of way. Just the way his words rolled off his tongue made my stomach churn.

Jack stammered as he tried to find the right words. Finally he found them.

“Your Highness. What an honor it is for you to grace us with your presence. But may I be so bold so ask what your Highness is doing here?” Jack bowed his head down low.

“Raise your head peasant. I heard the rumors and simply came to see if they are true. And from this exposed beauty must be the famous Zartiyil. Princess of Dragons!” He made his way over to Dolly and me. As he got closer the overwhelming desire to run away grew.

“Yes, I am her. And may I ask who you are?” I put on a tough face and narrow my eyes at him. I refuse to let him intimidate me.

“I am the Prince of these lands, Zartiyil. I am the Prince and most of all. I am your future king.”