“Oh.” I said, blushing even deeper. Damn it. “Talk about what?”

“Us.”

“Oh.”

And then there was an awkward silence. I knew he was looking at me, but I refused to meet his eyes. I’d start blushing again! No way in hell would I give him the satisfaction of knowing he could make me blush just by looking at me!

“Joey?”

“Yes?”

“What did my mom say to you?”

“She just called me a faggot and shit like that.” I said, wrinkling my nose. “And she told me to stay away from you.”

He snorted. “That’s not gonna happen.”

“Are you sure?” I asked him.

“Yes.” He smiled. “I like you too much.”

I blushed and looked down. He sighed and tilted my face up, but I shook my head and looked out of the window. The sky was a pretty blue today. Tom said my name, but I ignored him. Then he was practically climbing on top of me. What the fuck?! Personal space!

“Joey,” He whispered, turning my face towards him. “Stop doing that.”

“G-Get off.” I said nervously. Immediately, he was off of me and as far away as he could. Good boy…

“Sorry.” He whispered. “I didn’t mean to make you uncomfortable.”

“It’s okay.” I whispered, mentally kicking myself. He looked like he was about to cry! Aw man. “Tom?”

“Yeah?”

“Are you, uh, gay?”

“I think so.” He whispered. “Or at least bi. I like you, Joey. More than friends.”

“But your mom—”

“Forget about her, Joey. She doesn’t matter to me.”

“You shouldn’t say that.” I said, looking down. “Your mom may be a bitch, no offense, but you’re lucky to have both parents at home.”

“Lucky.” He said, then snorted. “Yeah, I’m lucky alright.”

“Tom?” I asked, confused.

“You didn’t hear them arguing last night, Joey.” He whispered. “They don’t argue a lot, but when they do, it’s bad. And it’s normally about me.”

“How?”

“I had some issues in the past. My dad was on my side, and my mom wasn’t. It was the worst string of arguments they’ve ever had.”

“What issues?”

“I can’t tell you. I’m sorry.”

“Tom,” I said, scooting closer to him. “Tom, you can trust me.”

“It’s bad, Joey. Real bad.”

“I can take it.” I whispered.

[Tom]

So there I was, in the backseat of my car with Joey, telling him every detail from my past. Everything about Kenny, Jessica, and Phil. About what they said, what happened to me, how I felt about it. I told him why I’m so good at fighting, why I don’t like people, and why I act like a loner.

And through it all, he didn’t say a word. Just listened.

By the time I finished, both of us had tears slowly rolling down on our faces. Unexpectedly, he reached out and wrapped me into a hug. I hugged him back, fighting the urge to find something sharp to cut myself with. I really had to stop doing that. Joey didn’t like it.