Chapter Five

Chapter Five

[Joey]

I ran into my room and threw myself on my bed, crying my eyes out. It wasn’t fair. It just wasn’t. Now I know why he really wasn’t happy about letting me go to his house.

“Joey?” My mom said. “Joey, baby, what’s wrong?”

“Go away.” I moaned. I can’t do this. I just can’t.

“Big brother?” Molly asked. “Did Tom do something mean? Do you want me to beat him up?”

“Go away.” I sobbed.

“Molly, honey, go play.”

“But, mommy, Joey’s sad and—”

“Please, go.”

“Both of you go.” I sobbed.

“What happened?”

I buried my head into my pillow. “Nothing. Now leave.”

“Joseph.”

“Mom, I don’t want to fucking talk about it!” I snapped.

“Joseph, look at me now.” She demanded. I looked up at her as she sat down on my bed.

“What?” I asked.

“Did he hurt you?”

“Tom didn’t do anything.”

“Then where is he?”

“His house.” I groaned.

Her eyes went wide. “Did you two…Did you guys get caught doing that?”

“What? No!” I yelled. “All we did was play video games in his living room.”

“Then what happened?”

“Please, mom,” I said, my voice very hoarse. “Just leave…”

“Joseph, I demand you to tell me what happened right now.”

“No.”

“Joseph!”

“Mom, please,” I whispered.

“I’m not leaving until you tell me what happened.” She said. “No one is allowed to make my baby Joey cry.”

“I got kicked out of his house, mom.”

“What?”

“When we got there, there wasn’t anything wrong. His dad was cool and his little brother was nice. Then his sister got there and flirted with me. Then his mom came home.”

“And?”

“She seemed cool at first, then she told Mason to go play and told Tom she wanted a word with him.”

“So?”

“So I heard everything, mom. I heard everything she said about me, I heard Tom trying his best to defend me, and I heard her say that he wasn’t allowed near me. Then Tom came out—he looked so angry, mom. He told me I had to leave, so I left.”

Oh, Joey…”

“Will you please leave now?” I sobbed. “I want to be alone.”

“I’m going to give this woman a piece of my mind!”

“No, don’t. You’ll just make things worse for Tom.”

“I’m so sorry, Joey.” She said, kissing my forehead. “I’ll buy some ice cream, okay?”