Chapter 24.

Camila's POV

It was a maddening rush, the crisp fall morning. A chill creeps into the air--not the bite of wintry blusters, but just a nip to let me know a new season is at hand. The wide, quiet forest is lit by the bright rays of the day, shining through a thin layer of grey cloud like a stain glass window. I can tell that no longer are the trees their iridescent hues of spring and summer, but are scarlet and gold. The morning was nice and quiet, but I could hear noise far beyond a few trees.

I walk past many more of the bare trees, finding myself growing curious with the more louder yelling as I came closer. It was feminine, but behind the voice itself was another, sounding a bit more rough and firm. I bite my lip hard as I approach, gasping softly and taking a step back as I reach the scene.

I hide behind the rough patch of an oak tree, barely peeking over the bark with my lip in between my lip. I had a feeling I would soon be caught, but I couldn't help but continue to spy on the crying child.  There she stood, a small child no older than about eight, sitting over the first steps of an old cot, face buried into her hands. In front of her stood Hagrid, much younger and taller like I still remember.

He continued to speak to the small girl, asking her to stop crying and promising that everything would be okay. I realized that this girl was Lauren, and her smooth emerald eyes were blurred in tears. "They took her from me, Hagrid!"

"I know, Lauren." The man sighs, running his fingers through his tangled beard worriedly. "We can get her back, don't worry."

"No! No, we can't!" The girl sobs, almost choking on her words. "T-they're going to take her away from everyone else just like t-they'll d-do to me! I ruined her, Hagrid. I ruined her!"

I feel my chest tighten at the sight of the girl, wanting badly to walk up to her and comfort her. The thing was, I din't know who Lauren was talking about. Who on earth was she speaking about, her mother? It couldn't be. I was extremely confused.

"Don't say that," The man shakes his head. "It's okay, you made a mistake."

"I know, a really big one." The girl mumbles, wiping her cheeks with both her hands, "I  don't want them to take her away from me. They'll experiment on her and realize I transmitted the curse. She'll never forgive me, ever! She'll have to live with that thing inside of her! Forever!"

"Stop yelling, Lauren." Hagrid swallows hard, shaking the girl gently. "Don't do anything stu--"

"This is all my fault," The girl whispers, hate evident in her dark eyes. The girl looked like she regret whatever she did, and I was extremely confused. I take a small step forward, wanting to hear clearly and get a better picture of the upset girl. "This is all my fault!"

Hagrid tries to pull the girl into his arms as she gets up angrily, but she's too quick for the much older man. The girl pries her tiny arms out o his grip with a small growl, turning away with a quick run of her small feet. She sprints towards the other side of the forest, it being the most dangerous side as well.

"Lauren! No, Lauren!"

My eyes follow the small girl as she fully sprints down the dirt, path whirling right past me in one quick motion. I feel cool wind hit me and I know she's too fast for me to catch up to me...but I run. I run and run past many trees, feeling the cold wind hit me like rough stones as I chase after the crying girl, who would occasionally let out small sobs.

I sprint so fast, I can hear the loud thumps of my own footsteps hit the ground like a hammer biting down against metal. I can see light straight ahead from where we were, clear water surrounding the rest of the forest. The girl begins to slow down in front of me, panting and crying all at once in wheezing breaths, placing her hands over her knees as she roughly wipes a tear away.