Chapter 12.

"Where are the girls, Lauren?"

I place a hand over my mouth to keep from breathing too loudly, feeling my heart only increase in pace as I watch Dumbledore pace around the room.

"Nice to finally see you, too." Lauren calmly states, pretending to sketch over her small journal with a small grin but not seeming too happy.

Dumbledore continues to stare at her, hands folded behind his back. I could feel Dinah's hand over my shoulder, along with her soft breathing. It's like I could hear all three heartbeats behind me, loudly and clearly.

"Don't put these girls in danger, Lauren. I could sense them all inside here...I saw them come in through my many visions." He speaks slowly.

She looks up to finally meet eyes with him, swallowing hard but not giving away any signs of fear or nervousness. "What are you talking about, professor?"

"Lauren," He sighs, sitting slowly in front of her, almost cautiously if you ask me. She stares at him with a certain look on her face I can't seem to make out. "I know it's been so long since you've made contact with any girls your age, but think ab--"

"You're not seriously going to start with this whole, 'I'm sorry you're locked in here speech', are you?" Lauren looks up for the first time, her green eyes slowly roaming over the elder man's wrinkled features.

Professor Dumbledore sighs, "No, I won't this time, actually. I'm here simply for the sake of your safety, and theirs as well. Lauren, tell me when was the first time Camila visited you? Was it three or four weeks from now?"

Her eyes widen for a split second, "You knew? You knew she was here but she didn't stop me from getting attached? From hurting her?(!)"

He only offers a small smile, "I knew you wouldn't hurt her, Lauren. You know why you won't hurt her, and I didn't want to be the one the break it to her."

Lauren scowls, suddenly forgetting we were under the invisibility cloak this whole time, "How do you know that? How are you so sure I won't hurt her one of these days from now?"

I search for any emotion in her, suddenly fearing at her words as she continues, "Professor, how could you let her get attached?"

I frown.

"I let her stay because I knew you would help her," He folds his hands over his lap. "With what you have given Camila, she will realize one day that she--"

"Don't." Lauren interrupts, looking down at the ground with a small frown. "I know...she'll know one day. Just not now."

"No," Dumbledore shakes his head, "She must not know about it. She's not ready..."

Lauren shakes her head, "Professor, she's an adult now. She must be told. What do you think will happen when she finds out for herself and knows we stood and watched while she struggled to-to...That can't happen. She will hate all of us for knowing."

What? What were they talking about? I was extremely confused, now. I was sure they were talking about me, but I had no idea was exactly they were sharing about me. What the hell was it that I was supposed to know? Whatever it is, of course, I'm ready. I'm old enough to know about things involving me, right?

"I've thought about it as well," The old man states sadly, sighing loudly. "I have, really. But one day I'll be the one to tell her, Lauren. Not you. I've raised that girl like my own, she's practically family to me like you are too. I've come to visit you every day for the last twelve years."

"Yeah," Lauren looks down. " You've stopped. You stopped over two months ago."

"I know.."

"You know how devastated I was after a whole month of no visiting? You know how many times I cried myself to sleep because I knew that if you stopped...I would always stay alone? I knew that I would grow old in this damn room with no one by my side."