Chapter Twenty-Seven

"Hi Riley. Hi Liam!" Maya smiled as the three entered their first period.

"Someone's mighty perky this morning." Liam noticed.

"Yeah, you're not a morning person... at all! What's up?" Riley questioned, sitting in her desk and turning to Maya.

"What? Is it a crime to be happy?" Maya giggled.

"For you, this early? Yes, it is." Riley laughed. "Spill your guts!"

"Riley I-" Maya breathed, but was interupted by little footsteps running towards her. "Hey little miss." Maya smiled, lifting Alice up onto her lap.

"Hi!" Alice grinned.

"How are you?"

"I'm good. Am I going home with you and Lucas?"

"I'm not sure? If I'm not mistakin', you have someone special coming to hang out with you this afternoon." Maya smiled. Alice nodded her head and Riley and Liam looked at eachother. "Okay, go play." Alice hopped off Maya's lap and ran over to the other kids.

"So, um, didn't you and Lucas go home together after school yesterday?" Riley winked.

"Yeah so?" Maya tried to play it off, but the big, goofy smile on her face wasn't very convincing.

"And..."

"And nothing!" Maya insisted.

"Maya!" Riley shrieked. Maya giggled, covering her face and turning a bright shade of red.

"Stop, Riley!" Maya warned through laughter.

"Maya you didn't." Riley grinned.

"Stop."

"She did!" Liam chimed in.

"Liam!" Maya screamed.

"Oh, come on!" Liam rolled his eyes. "You used to get freaked out by the meer thought of...ya know, and it showed! Now look at you! You're bright red and grinning from ear to ear."

"Fine." Maya rested her head on her hand and turning even more red than before.

"Maya!" Riley smacked Maya's arm in shock, and stomped her feet on the ground.

"Shhhhh!" Maya smiled. "We'll talk later, Riley." Maya glanced over at Liam and Riley understood. She shook her head, jokingly disproving of her best friend's actions.

The bell rang and before Maya could exit the door, she felt Alice pulling at the bottom of her shirt. "What's up?" She asked, bending down to Alice's level.

"Will you come say goodbye before you leave?"

"Of course! I promise." Maya smiled. She stood up straight, hugged Alice, and then headed to her second period.

Maya sat in her seat, waiting for class to start. Lucas walked in and took his seat. He looked over at Maya who was smiling to herself, causing him to chuckle.

History went by quickly because nothing was being taught. The whole class was talking and acting crazy. Third period passed just as quickly for Maya and before she knew it, her and Lucas were headed to wish Alice luck on meeting her potential adoptive parents.

"Hey." Lucas greeted, walking into the classroom. Alice ran up to him, and Lucas picked her up, holding her on his hip.

"I'm nervous..." Alice whispered so only Maya and Lucas could hear.

"Don't be!" Maya smiled, talking quietly. "These could be the people who shower you in kisses and love you."

"I know..." The little girl sighed.

"Alice, honey we gotta go." Mr. Bell interupted, getting up from his desk. Lucas set her down on her own two feet and ruffled her hair.

"You'll be fine." He smiled. Maya and Lucas each gave her a hug, and watched as she walked out of the room.

"I hope it works out." Maya sighed as her and Lucas got into his car.

"Me too." Lucas agreed, starting his car and pulling out if the parking lot. Again, the car ride to Maya's house was quiet, but not awkward.

They walked into Maya's apartment, Lucas locked the door behind them and he sat down on the couch. Maya curled up, resting her head on Lucas' lap and closed her eyes. Lucas chuckled and started running his fingers through her hair.

"Maya?" Lucas asked quietly, not knowing if she had fallen asleep or not.

"Hm?" Maya rolled onto her back, now looking up at Lucas. She reached to grab one of his hands and locking their fingers together.

"I love you." Lucas pulled up his and Maya's hands, leaving a small kiss on the back of her hand.

"I know." Maya bit her lip and smiled. "And I love you." She sat up, swinging one leg over Lucas and straddled him so she was facing him. She draped her arms over his shoulders and leaned forward, placing a kiss on Lucas' lips. Lucas rested his hands on the sides of Maya's thighs and leaned forward, reconnecting their lips. Maya smiled for a second and continued to kiss Lucas, moving her hands up to his hair, running her fingers through his hair.

"Lucas..." Maya pulled away and looked at the clock hanging on the wall just above them. "My mom should be home any minute to get her lunch..." She pushed herself up onto her knees, but was quickly brought back down by Lucas gently pulling down on her hands.

"We'll deal with that when she gets here." Lucas grinned. Maya rolled her eyes, leaning forward to continue their kiss. Lucas grinned, as usually it was him giving into Maya's requests, and slipped his thumbs into the back pockets of her jeans.

Maya grinned. She pulled away from Lucas' lips slightly and began leaving tiny, gentle kisses along his jaw line, moving up the bone then inching her way down to his neck, paying close attention to a spot just below his ear. Lucas groaned and pulled Maya closer to him, his thumbs still placed in her back pockets.

The front door knob turning spooked the two, causing Maya to roll off of Lucas. She tried to play it off as if they were just sitting there talking, but Maya rolled off the couch, causing a loud thud to ring through the small apartment.

"Maya?" Katy shouted, walking through the short hall and peeking into the living room. "Maya, why are you on the floor?"

"Lucas abuses me." She joked, standing up and fixing her hair and shirt.

"That's believable." Ms. Hart rolled her eyes and walked around the bar to get to the pantry. "It's almost graduation, any plans yet?

"Is death an option?" Maya asked, taking a seat next to Lucas and leaning into his arm.

"No." Katy answered simply. Maya giggled and looked up at Lucas, noticing him leaning against his hand at an awkward angle. "Okay, I'm out."

"Bye." Lucas and Maya said at the same time.

"What are you doing?" Maya laughed looking up at Lucas again. He pulled his hand away, revealing a spot below his ear turning a redish purple color. "How'd you know that was there?"

"Cause I'm not dumb." He laughed.

"I did that?" Maya asked, pointing to it.

"You did that." Lucas repeated.

"Cool."