18.

ALEX

Kendall wasn't at school the following Monday.

Alex had spent a lot of time over that weekend rethinking his actions. Maybe he had stepped it too far. Maybe he hadn't, but either way Kendall wasn't in school and he knew her well enough to know that she wouldn't miss school unless she was on death's door; and she definitely wouldn't miss the first day of a semester.

"Jack I need her number," Alex said for the tenth time. The guys were at lunch and Alex had a smushed a tuna sandwich in front of him that didn't look very appetizing.

"I told you already Alex, she told me not to give it to anybody," Jack replied as he opened his water.

"Did she say that after I kissed her?" He snapped.

Rian started to choke on his food, "You-you kissed her?"

"Long story," Alex dismissed, "Did she say that before or after?"

"Before," Jack replied, "Do you want me to text her for you?"

"Is that even a question? Yes, go!"

Jack rolled his eyes at his best friend and sent a text to Kendall. Soon enough his phone vibrated on the table top and Alex went to grab it.

Jack slapped his hand, "Nice try bud."

Alex slumped back in his seat as Jack picked up his phone.

"Well?"

Jack sent a response and looked back up at the long haired singer, "She said she wasn't feeling well enough to come to school. She went to the doctors and she'll be back tomorrow."

"That's not good enough for me," Alex said.

Jack ignored him and replied to yet another text and sighed, "Meet her at the coffee shop where you guys went last time at one."

"Now," Rian said, "Explain."

Alex then divulged into his story about how and why he kissed the book loving brunette. Rian nodded along, not really commenting on his story until he was done.

"I think you should apologize anyway. I know you said you did already, but just so you clear your conscience, you know?" Rian asked.

Alex shrugged, "It couldn't hurt I guess."

KENDALL

The real reason why Kendall stayed home that Monday was way more complicated than any of the guys knew.

After Jack had left Kendall's mom asked her what had happened. Kendall had cursed herself for being so readable.

She told her mom everything and later that night had another panic attack. Only that time it was worse than the one Jack had witnessed and she didn't have him to calm her down either.

Kendall was upset and just disappointed in herself, she thought she had moved on from these nuisances a long time ago; but it seemed as if her past was catching up with her.

Over the next couple of days Kendall had multiple more attacks, which were enough to worry her parents (which ended up in another panic attack).

So Monday morning Kendall was getting ready for school when she thought of the prospect of having to see and talk to Alex for the first time since they kissed. The thought of talking to him quickly turned negative in her mind and soon she was on the ground gasping for air with tears flowing from her eyes.