Pretending...

Chapter 17:

April 5th

"You were suppose to come out of me next week, but you just couldn't wait to get out, could you?" I said talking to Austin as I picked him up from his crib. "Ok now here we go again." I said putting the bottle in his mouth as I rocked in my chair. He started sucking from the bottle.

"Up already?" Justin said rubbing his eyes.

"Yeah...I've been up since 3." I said as Justin walked in.

"You been keeping momma up all night, man?" Justin said to Austin.

"Yeah...at first he was just fussing. He just got hungry." I said smiling at Austin.

"I'm gonna go make some breakfast." He said stretching. He walked out.

I still can't sleep without Justin, so I've been living with him every since Austin got out of the hospital. Which is like almost a month...

"What are you gonna make?" I asked as I walked in the kitchen with Austin in my arms.

"Pancakes, eggs, turkey sausage, and grits...that's all." Justin shrugged.

"That's all?" I said laughing. "You're gonna make all that?"

"Yeah I might as well...I'm up early enough." He said as he took out the ingredients. "If he goes back to sleep, you can help me."

"Well I doubt he'll..." I stopped seeing that Austin was sleep. I smiled and walked him in to his room. I put him in the crib and he started to move his hands around. Good thing he had those little mittens to keep him from scratching his self.

"You gotta put more batter in there, it's soupy." I told Justin one I walked back in the kitchen.

"Whoa...I said help not manage." Justin said frowning. I gave him a look and he moved out the way. "Fine...I'll make the eggs."

"No shell."

"What?"

"Last time you made eggs they were crunching."

"I was trying something new and you said they were good."

"I lied." I said smiling.

"Well I can make the turkey sausage."

"You burn the sausage last time."

"Well then you cook." He said throwing the towel in the counter. He started to walk out, but I grabbed his hand.

"Umm no...I also know that you cooked horrible last time because you didn't want to. You can cook, you're just lazy." I called him out. He laughed. He dipped his pinky in the pancake batter and hit my noes with it.

"Take this off my nose." I demanded.

"Or else what?" Justin said. I tilted my head and took some batter and slashed it on his shirt. Some of it got on his face making me laugh.

"You started it." I said in between my laughs. He nodded and walked toward the bowl with a cup. "No no---" He grabbed a cup full and threw it on me making me crack up. I grabbed the whole bowl.

"Don't you dar---" I threw the whole bowl on him. "Ok...you better start running." Justin said wiping it off his face so he can see. I started running and made it to the room, but he grabbed me and started tickling me once we fell on the floor.

"I'm sorry no!!!" I begged. He knew that was my weakness. He didn't stop until I was crying my eyes out laughing. The batter started dripping from his face to mine.

"I told you it was soupy." I said laughing as I wiped it off his face. He laughed with me, but our laughs died down as we looked in each others eyes. Justin peeled his eyes away and got up.

"We gotta make another batch." He said helping me up. He fixed his boxers and walked away. I knew I felt something...

Week Later

"I don't know how you think this is gonna work." Jason said shaking his head as I changed Austin's diaper. "You do remember the last time you and him lived in the same house, right?"

"Yeah...Austin happened." Lin added.

"You guys shut up...we've been living together for a month and nothing happened."

"Yeah well it took you guys four months to screw each other. And due to the even bigger sexual tension now it's gonna be sooner." Jason said.

"Plus you guys are sleeping in the same bed." Lin added again.

"Oh so you two are buddy buddy today?" I said throwing Austin's dirty diaper away.

"We just know what's best for you." Jason said.

"I thought I was the one who knew what was best for me." I said frowning.

"We're just worried about you, Ali."

"Well, I'm fine Lin." I said picking Austin up. I sat down in the rocking chair and sat him on my lap as he faced Jason and Lin.

"He can hold up his head already?" Lin said smiling,

"Yep...that's awesome. He's a preemie and he's developing faster than a full term baby." Jason said.

"So what do you wanna do for your birthday?" Lin said excitedly.

"Oh umm...I haven't really thought about it as much. You know since Austin." I said wiping his drool off his face.

"What?! You have always thought about your birthday." Jason said in a panic surprise.

"Yeah...it's always so easy cause you know exactly what you want...well except last year when it was raining hard." Lin said.

"You guys...that was before Austin. I'm not sure I even want to do anything for my birthday." I said shrugging.

"Is it the end of the world?" Jason said with his hand on his chest.

"I hope not...I gotta repent." Lin said.

"For what, watching tv after 10 o' clock. You're like a saint..." Jason said rolling his eyes.

"You don't know me at all do you?" Lin said folding her arms. "I'll have you know that I put too much salt in my ex-boyfriend's food one time."

"Whoa what a badass! Excuse me for thinking you weren't from hell." Jason mocked.

"Seriously? You don't want to do anything?" Lin said ignoring Jason.

"I don't know...it just not that big of a deal." I said as I bounced Austin on my knee. He smiled big making drool come out his mouth again. I wiped it off softly.

"It's your 24th birthday...do something!" Lin said.

"We're just not use to this..." Jason said shaking his head. His phone rung and he answered it.

"We have to do something...even if it's something small." Lin said.

"I guess...I don't know. I'm fine you guys don't have to---"

"Nope. We're planning something."

"We gotta go!" Jason said pulling Lin out her chair. "That England guy I told you about just called me."

"Richard? He called you?" Lin said smiling.

"Yes and he was to meet for coffee in an hour. So get up and take me home so I can change." He commanded as he rushed out the room.

"Oh my God..." Lin said shaking her head. "I'll call you later when I come up with what to do for your birthday. Bye." She gave me a hug. "Bye cutie pie." She said to Austin making him laugh as she left.

"Looks like it's just you and me until daddy gets home." I said getting up with Austin. I went into the kitchen, put Austin in his high chair and made me a grilled cheese. I played some music which Austin love. He moves his head around as much as he can...he's so smart.

After an few hours, I put him to bed and tried to take a nap of my own. Yeah...that how my life goes now.

"Alicia....Alicia....Aaaaaaaallllllliiiiiiccccccciiiiiaaaaaaa." I heard Justin whisper annoyingly.

"What?!" I whined not even bothering to open my eyes.

"I'mmmmm hooooommmmmeeee." He said in that annoying whisper again. I reached my hand out and felt his face. Then I pushed it out the way.

"Go away!!" I said waving him away.

"You did not just mush my face..." He said.

"Chu mad?" I said with one eye opened. I saw him coming towards me with his fingers of evil and I screamed. "Ok ok...I'm sorry!" I said covering my face with the pillow.

"Haha!" Justin said in his evil voice. He was such a child some times. "Ok...so you're birthday is next week. Whatcha doing?" He said moving the pillow away. I sat up and rubbed my eyes.

"I dunno. I haven't thought about it much. Why are you guys grilling me about this?" I said getting up to check on Austin.

"Do you have other people in your head that are asking you?" Justin said laughing. I peeped in Austin's room...still sleep.

"No...shut up, no. Lin and Jason came over today and they were asking me." I said walking into the living room. I sat down on the couch.

"And you said..." He said edging me to finish the sentence.

"I said I haven't really thought about it much since Austin, so...I don't know. I might not do anything."

"You have to...you're turning 24." Justin said sitting next to me.

"Is that like a milstone? So what...I'm old enough to drive, I'm old enough to hit the 'are you 18' on the porn sites button without lying, and I'm old enough to drink. What else in there?" I said shrugging.

"You watch porn?" Justin said smirking dirty. I through a conch pillow at him.

"Seriously..." I said laughing.

"Ok ok...I don't know. You're not at the age to give up celebrating your birthday. You're still in you're twenties." He said setting the pillow aside. "Now me on the other hand...I'm 35. After that I have to hate birthdays. Like I'm slowly getting closer to 40."

"Who said you have to hate birthdays after 35?"

"Life law..." He answered in a serious tone.

"That's not a thing." I said hitting him with other pillow in his chest as I laughed. He laughed with me.

"Seriously though, you gotta do something. We can have a get together here." Justin suggested.

"I don't wanna have a party with Austin here."

"We can get a babysitter."

"Who's gonna babysit? Lin and Jason are gonna be here, my mom hates the fact that he was born, and Cameron..." I stopped and gave him a look.

"We can hire a babysitter."

"No no no...I am not letting some stranger watch my month old baby." I said sounding like my mom...that was scary.

"Oh oh...my sister can watch him."

"Kacy? She's got a baby and one on the way...no." I said.

"So what the hell? You wanna sit here and watch movies and make grilled cheese all day like you do all the time?"

"How do you know I make grilled cheese?" I said looking at around like he had hidden cameras.

"You don't clean up your mess." He said shaking his head.

"Oh..." I said putting my paranoia away. "I'm not saying do nothing. I'm just saying it's no big deal if we don't."

"You need to get out of this house...last year you spent your birthday inside cause it was raining. It's suppose to be real nice this year, so you have no excuse." Justin said.

"Can we talk about it later?" I said hanging my head back. He pushed his hair back and sighed.

"Fine..." He said. "I'm gonna go change and we're going downtown with Austin cause it's Friday and I wanna do something."

"Wait no...I'm allergic to the sun." I said as he walked away. Justin laughed.

"You are crazy..." He said from the back.

April My Birthday

"You wanna say happy birthday to mommy?" I heard Justin whisper. I opened my eyes and smiled to see Austin right there. "Happy Birthday, mommy." Justin said as Austin stretches his hand out toward my face.

"Hey, Austy." I said sitting up and grabbing him. I held him close.

"Good morning, birthday girl." Justin said smiling.

"Aww...thank you." I said. My nose got hit by something so delicious that it made my head cock back. "What is that smell?"

"Oh I'm cooking for you." He said.

"Mmmm...what is it?" I said starting to get up.

"No no...breakfast in bed. You stay here with little man."

"But...but what if he starts crying?" I said frowning.

"He's not. I feed him, changed his diaper, and he doesn't need to sleep." Justin said walking out.

"Well you're just super dad aren't you?" I said smiling as I laid Austin on the bed.

"Yeah of course." Justin said from the kitchen.

"Hey little man...hey baby." I said tickling him. He started smiling and kicking around.

"He's ticklish like his momma." Justin said. I looked up and saw the food. I picked Austin up to make room for the tray. Justin put the tray in front of me and took Austin so I could eat.

"Grits, crab cakes, eggs, French toast, who made all this?" I joked.

"Umm...yours truly."

"You made this french toast?" I said looking at it. It looked something straight out of a gourmet magazine. "I knew you were just being lazy." I said making a face at him.

"So you know not to get use to it?" He said getting in bed laying Austin down.

"That's not fair..." I said chewing. I swallowed the French toast. "It's so good..." I whined.

"No...I'm not cooking like that all the time." He said as he made faces at Austin.

"It's so damn good! Why are you doing this to me!" I said as I ate the pieces of heaven on the plate. Justin laughed.

"Nope...that's all mommy is gonna get. She's not tasting that food till Mother's Day." He said to Austin.

"I'll be glad when he can respond and call you an asshole." I pouted.

"Shut up..." He said shaking his head with a smirk on his face. "Anyway...Lin is gonna be here in two hours to take you somewhere."

"Where?" I said before drinking the orange juice.

"She told me to keep my mouth shut."

"And so you're gonna listen?"

"Yeah, it's for your birthday." He shrugged.

"Whatever...I'm going to go take a shower." I said setting the tray on my nightstand.

"Good idea..." Justin said holding his nose.

"Shut up." I said rolling my eyes knowing he was joking.

I took a shower and got dressed in my tight light blue jean capris, a pink flowy floral tank and my silver King Tut sandals (gladiator sandals). I put my hair in a curly ponytail with a bang to the side. I put on some light lipgloss and put on my hoop earrings. I put on some bangles and a necklace. I grabbed my purse and walked toward the living room only to find Justin sleeping on the couch with Austin sleeping on his chest. It was too adorable. I grabbed my camera and took a picture.

"Justin." I tapped him softly on his shoulder. He opened his eyes and yawned. "That was just too adorable." I said. He looked at Austin and smiled knowing what I was talking about.

"I'm so freaking tired." He said brushing his hair back...that's the first time I've seen him do that without being mad.

"Ok Sleepy J, I'm gonna take him to his crib and you go to bed when I leave."

"But---"

"No no no...you go." I said picking up Austin careful. Justin groaned and got up. I put Austin in his crib and the doorbell rung.

"You ready?" Lin asked as soon as I opened the door.

"I'm fine, thanks. And thanks so much for wishing me a happy birthday." I said tilting my head as Lin walked in.

"Heeeyyy Lin." Justin said in a tired tone as he dragged his feet to the bedroom.

"Hey Justin..." Lin said even though Justin had already left. "What's wrong with him?"

"He was up all night with the baby and he made me breakfast. He's just tired." I said as I checked myself in the mirror. We walked out and I frowned when we got in the car.

"Are you excited?" Lin said smiling.

"For what? I don't know what where we're going." I said. All I could think about was Austin.

"You'll see." Lin said in a sing song voice.

"I wonder if Justin's gonna be ok with the baby." I said.

"Hasn't he been with him by his self?" Lin said as she watched the road.

"No...this is his first time being with him alone."

"Girl he'll be fine." Lin said frowning."This is about girls day...that's why we're going to pick up Jason." She said making me laugh.

So she surprised me with a session of Painting with a Twist. We painted a pretty picture of a night scene. It was pretty fun since there was wine there too. Then they took me to get my nails and hair done. They took me to a spa and took me to the mall to shop.

8:30

When we got to the condo, Jason and Lin walked me to the door. I opened the door and---

"Suprise!!" Everyone yelled once I walked in.

"Oh My goodness...what?!" I said smiling from ear to ear. Not many people were there...Jina, Ben, Gia, Frank, Terry, and other people that Lin and Jason invited.

"Happy birthday!" Gia said. "We missed you at the office, Ali." She said giving me a hug.

"Thank you...I missed you guys too."

"Happy Birthday, kid." Terry said. They called me kid at the office cause I was the youngest one working there. I have him a hug. "This is my wife, Sandra." He introduced me.

"Hi, I'm Ali." I said smiling.

"I've heard alot about you, happy 24th." She said like we were friends.

"Thanks, that's sweet of you." I said giving her a hug.

"I don't know you had a baby?" Frank said.

"Yeah...that's why I had to leave early." I said smiling. "Speaking of him...I'll be back." I said walking away looking for Justin.

"Hey, happy birthday." Jina said walking with me.

"Thanks, girl." I stopped. "Have you seen Justin?" I said.

"Yeah, he's in the kitchen with Ben and the babies." She said as we both started walking.

"Hey, so you couldn't tell me this was gonna happen?" I said punching Justin in the arm softly.

"Ouch...no. That's why they call it a surprise party." Justin said wiggling his fingers. "Did you paint that?" He asked about my painting.

"Yeah, you like?"

"It actually looks like what is suppose to. Wow...you've come a long way." He mocked.

"Shut up...I'm hanging this up tomorrow." I said sticking my tongue out. "Where's my baby?"

"He's...he is...umm....he's---"

"Stop playing." I said almost in a yell. He laughed and gave me a plate full of food.

"I'll go get him." He said walking away.

"Oh my goodness! Is that her?" I said walking toward Ben who was holding a little baby girl.

"Yes."

"What's her name?" I sat the plate down on the table.

"Janine Natasha Brown." Ben said proudly.

"She looks just like you." I said watching her dosing off. "Come on and take that sweetie pie to sleep." Ben followed me into Austin's room. Ben put her in Austin's crib.

"We can't stay to long...cause of Janine." Ben said rubbing his eyes.

"Yeah, well I'm still glad you guys came."

"We left your gift on that table." Ben said walking toward his wife.

"Oh my god." I said looking at all the gifts.

"Yeah...isn't it great." Justin said from behind scaring me.

"Justin, what the hell!" I said turning around.

"I found him." Justin said like a little kid.

"Is daddy drunk?" I said grabbing Austin. Justin gave me a look. "Mommy missed you so much. I missed you, Austy" I said in my baby voice.

"He was so quiet..." Justin said smiling. "I thought he was gonna cry with just me."

"Oh no...he loves his daddy."

"Course. What's not to love?" Justin said playfully. He walked away toward the kitchen.

"Aww...is this him?" Gia said clapping.

"Yeah, this is my little man."

"He so little..." Gia said as Terry and Frank came over.

"He was born early." I said holding him close.

"But he's already lifting his head up for a long time." Terry said.

"I know...I guess he is advanced in somethings." I said shrugging.

"He is too adorable." Gia said smiling. "He has Justin's eyes."

"Yeah he definitely looks like Justin." Frank said.

"Where's the food?" I heard Lin ask.

"Ben is bringing it out in a minute." I announced.

"Hey Justin, your son looks just like you, dude."

"I would hope." Justin said laughing. "Why don't you give me him and you can start opening your gifts." Justin suggested to me. I gave him a puppy dog face.

"But I just got him." I said in a baby voice. "I can hold him and open presents."

"Ok...good luck with that. I'm gonna go fix you a plate."

"Thanks." I said smiling. "And I can open my presents after cake." I called after him making him laugh.

9:45

"Ok, we gotta go." Jina said ask her and Ben walke toward the door with Janine.

"Ok...thanks so much for coming guys."

"Wait wait...we didn't even say happy birthday." Justin said shaking his head. "We're gonna sing and give you some cake...then you can leave."

"Ok...cool." Ben said setting Janine's carrier down.

"Everyone please gather 'round. Ali sit here." Frank said. I looked around only to find Justin had disappeared.

"1,2,3, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU! HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU! HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR ALICIA!" Everyone sung as Justin brought out a beautiful cake.

"DEAR ALI!" I corrected making everyone laugh.

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR, ALI!!" They all said making me smile hard. "HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!"

"Are you 1? Are you 2? Are you 3? Are you---" Jason started..I could tell he was drunk.

"An idiot." Lin said to Jason. "We're gonna be here all day doing that."

"Save that for elementary school..." Gia said...she was also drunk.

"Happy 24th, Ali." Justin said standing in front of me with the cake. "Make a wish..." He said smiling. I looked in his eyes and smiled. I closed my eyes and blew as much as I could on the candles. I opened my eyes as everyone cheered.

"Happy birthday, boo!" Jason slurred. I laughed as Justin sat the cake on the table.

"Here...you do the honors." He said handing me the knife. I grabbed it and cut the first piece.

"CAKE!!! CAKE!!! CAKE!!!" Jason cheered with his drink in the air.

"Ok, I'm taking you home after this." Lin said sternly.

"Whatever, mom." He said taking a sip.

"Thanks for coming, guys." I said giving Ben cake in a take out box thing. I have them both a hug and they went on there way.

"Thanks for the cake, boo." Jason whispered.

"Make sure he gets home ok." I told Lin giving her cake too.

"Come on here, boy." Lin said pushing Jason toward the door.

I cut everyone else a piece of cake and they ate it and kept partying. I opened all my presents and started to join them in the party.

1:00 am

"Alright, see ya at work Monday." Justin told Terry...the last guest.

"Oh my god...that was a great party." I said flopping on the couch. Justin laughed.

"You welcome." He said sitting next to me holding his head back. "I'm so glad I cleaned before everyone left." He said in a tired voice.

"Thank you...for all of this." I said in a serious tone.

"No problem...but this was all Lin's idea really." He said being shy as he scratch his faded beard.

"Yeah but you didn't have to offer your house."

"Why wouldn't I?" He said tilting his head.

"I don't know..." I said shrugging with my head slightly down. He looked at me as his smiled faded away.

"Umm...I umm...I almost forgot." He said getting up slowly.

"What?" I said putting on a smile.

"Your gift..." Justin said from the back.

"You got me something?" I called.

"Of course...here." He said walking toward me with a necklace box. I smiled and opened it slowly.

"Oh my god...I love it." I said with a smile in my voice as I pulled it out. It was a silver necklace with two charms. One that was round saying 'every picture tells a story' and the other was a camera charm. "Thank you." I said giving him a hug...force of habit. I moved back slowly and looked in his eyes. Those damn beautiful greenish blue eyes...so mysterious as to what he was thinking.

"Let me help you put it on." Justin said in a soft but weak voice as if he was trying hard not to do...something. I opened the necklace and turned around. I put it around my neck and gave the ends to Justin. I pulled up my hair and as he hooked it around my neck. I felt his warm breath on my neck making me take a deep breath to contain myself. I turned back around looking down at the necklace.

"Perfect..." I said looking back at him. He smiled and looked down.

"I'm glad you liked it." Justin said in a near whispered. I nodded making him look up waiting for me to say something. I cleared my throat...

"I love it." I said as our eyes caught each other. Justin smiled a little, but it went away quickly. We were closer than normal...it's been so long. I felt myself getting lost in his captivating eyes.

I leaned in closer and he moved. even closer making our lips touch. I let him him and our lips move on sync slowly. I wrapped my arms around his neck and he pulled me closer to his body. Just as soon as he bring me in, he then all of a sudden pushed me away. My lips pretty much ripped from his and he brushed his hair back...not good.

"Ali...we can't---" He trailed off and took his eyes away from mine. I suddenly felt my cheeks get hot and watery.

"Wow..." I said shaking my head. I got up and rushed away from him toward the bathroom. I felt the door slam in my whole body. I slid down and covered my face felting shame well up inside me. I cried softly to myself. Maybe it wasn't meant to be and that scared me the most...