Chapter 23

[A/N] For those that don't want to use GT... Verlust means "Loss" in German. You're welcome! Oh yeah, and I just went back and edited it... It had some mistakes that even I can't just leave.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"It's true. I have your prince in captivity."

My jaw slackened at his words. I had already predicted that this was true, but to hear it from the mouth of the killer was horrifying. So few words, and my worst nightmare had been realized and confirmed. This beast, he held my beloved prince in his clutches... I wanted to kill him. I wanted to take whatever I could and run it through his heart. Unfortunately, he's likely the only one who knows the prince's location. Therefore, he was essential in finding him.

Once the wave of surprise and anger had passed, a new feeling had arisen; helplessness. Or was that the right word? Possibly, it was the prince that was feeling helpless, but I... what was it that I felt? It wasn't helplessness, not hopelessness. No, it was something else. It was... Uselessness. It was a completely new feeling. Never have I ever felt useless before, not until now.

There was nothing I could do at the moment for him. The only solution was to simply ask this beast where he was, but there was no telling what he would say. He may say something, but then I realize it was a trap or dead end or something else, and then I end up dead. And it wouldn't be just my life at stake either. But the seething rage I still harbored resurfaced, and I welcomed it.

"You bastard...! How dare you hold him in your disgusting clutches? You're unfit to behold his presence! You're way of life is unacceptable, and I refuse to leave him with one who mercilessly rips into those of his own kind! No, that's incorrect. You're not like us. You're vile, you're evil. You are the scum of the Earth, do you hear me?!"

That provoked him. In an instant, his eyes were on me, and they were widened, reflecting my rage. His black pupils and his crimson irises shrank to a size I could barely comprehend. His face contorted to one of pure malice, and in less than a second, he was right up in my face. Isabel screamed in horror and jumped back. Before I knew it, his hand was wrapped around my throat and I was suspended in midair by him.

"How dare you speak to me in such a way?! I have more strength than a thousand men in only my blades! I am faster than any creature alive, and my senses are incomprehensible! I could rip you apart easily if I wanted to, limb by limb, and then consume your corpse in front of the fox girl! Then I could kill and eat her, just to fatten myself!

His claws, which I hadn't known he had until now, were starting to dig into my neck and penetrate the flesh. It hurt like Hell, but I knew there was no escaping from him; everything he had said what right. He could overpower me in any aspect imaginable. I was no match for someone who could take down a group of men in one fell swoop, not to mention without moving from their spot. I was about to speak, but he continued before I got the chance.

"And besides, what makes you think I'm not willing to simply kill the goody two-shoes "Prince Jaeger" and send this entire country spiraling down in a matter of days?! Don't you underestimate me, Ackerman! I am your worst nightmare, and I will make your life Hell if you decide you can't be bothered to heed my words!"

I forced myself to nod, despite not wanting to move. As I expected, the mere movement of my head caused his claws to dig deeper into me, and I felt blood trickle down my neck in a couple of places.

"Listen closely; You're not getting any help on finding the prince. And I mean none! And you will not report my existence to the manorial system. If you do, I'll not hesitate to brutally murder and consume them, you, and everyone you've ever loved. However, I will not interfere with your search if you choose to accept. I will not tell you where to look, and I will not tell you lies about your ideas on his location. I will not hurt you from this point on, and if you find him, you can take him home, and I will gladly surrender. You are timed, however. You have only two months to find him, and there are no extensions or exceptions to the time nor the rules. If you don't find him in time, I will kill him."

It sounded like an enticing offer, even considering the drawbacks. All I had to do was find the prince without the beast's help. That, and he won't get in my way, and won't come and feed me lies and make me run in circles. Even though I only had two months, I was certain that if I worked hard, I could find him in one. There was virtually nothing wrong with his proposal, but something in me told me there was something else I didn't know.

"So... will you accept my challenge? Or will you revert to a whining coward? Though I will say, if you refuse to accept... I will set him free, but I'll be forced to kill you and the fox girl."

I deeply pondered the thought. Though pain was surging through my neck and was beginning to spread to my chest and arms, I couldn't just rush into it. Would I rather have Isabel and I killed, right here and now, to ensure my prince's safety ad return to the manor? Or would I rather take on his challenge and risk failure, having him kill Eren while I lead a life of misery here, or worse, be executed?

Finally, I came to a decision.

"Y...Yes... I'll take... your offer..."

At my strangled words, he released me, and I dropped to the ground with a loud thud. I lay there for a few moments, simply listening to what the beast was going to say and recovering from the impact of the fall and his claws in my neck. However, he said nothing at first. He laughed, and I stood slowly. Running my hand over my neck, I could feel dried blood caked on some parts of my neck. I shuddered at the disgusting thought. I looked at the beast, whom I pondered to now call the devil, as he walked around in a circle and spoke.

"I hope you've thought long and hard about that! It didn't seem like it to me... Oh, yeah, that's right! I had you in my death-grip chokehold. Sorry about that! Well, let's see how you react when you realize just what you stepped into was going to cost..."

That instant, he moved so fast it was as if he had disappeared into thin air. I wasn't sure where he'd gone, but I was glad that it was out of my immediate proximity. I turned to tell Isabel what we were going to do first, but started to panic when she wasn't there. I looked around, and I saw nobody around me. I was entirely... alone. My panic turned to fear. I wandered in a circle, identical to the beast, then found a small note on the ground.

Approaching it, I read what was written on the bit of parchment.

"I said you would have no help... you should have known that Isabel would have to come with me! You have two months, Ackerman. Otherwise... they're both done for."

-Verlust

The Prince and His ServantOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara