Chapter 10

Cold. Shivering. Out of breath. Tired. Exhausted. Covered in twigs and dirt. Aching. Sore. These were the things that ran through my mind when I finally reached my destination.

I had come a long way, weaving in and out of a multitude of trees and other various foliage all along my journey. I went to sit in the snow, first wondering if it was a bad decision, but after deciding that the blessing of rest was deserved, I bestowed that grace upon my over-used muscles. Massaging them, I panted, grimacing as my raw throat was met with the brisk and chilly air.

My body started to relax, no longer accustomed to the constant movement, but my mind was now burning with questions. I began to converse with myself aloud as if I were talking to another living being.

"Why do I seem to be full of overly dramatic choices today? It's as if some being poked at my brain, prodding, whispering commands that only I seem to be hearing. Why would such a thing, anything, want to control me? Is it something I have, something I know, something I am? Not a single idea comes to me. Oh, why the hell am I talking so formally? I'm not in the manor. I don't have to concern myself with how I speak anymore.

It was strange, even for someone like myself. Never would I go out of my way to speak to an audience that merely consisted of myself. Why now, of all times, did I suddenly decide that I was going to talk to myself? Perhaps it was the cold and bitter air. Perhaps it was the situation I was in. It may also be simply because I wanted some being to hear my tale of woe, perchance. It was a good possibility that I felt sorrow, and that I wanted somebody else to bear my burdens for me. If that was the case, why? Had I become weak in this short amount of time?

A small part of me started to regret my rash and sudden decision to leave the manor. Certainly I could be executed for a number of reasons, those of which range from something as drastic as treason to something as petty as a simple, "I'm the prince and I don't like you anymore. Off with his head!" The rest of me, which may not be the most rational part of me, decided it was the best thing I could have done.

As I reconciled with my inner soul, I failed to notice a small artic fox coming my way until it was within three feet of me. I saw it trot over to me in the snow, it's small body having to heave itself through the thick layer of snow covering the ground. The size of it's body told me it was merely a pup, probably looking for it's mother.

It's pelt was as white as the snow it trod in, and it was a thing of beauty. It's bright, crystal-blue eyes shone and glimmered in the near darkness, and I wondered how such a creature could have such eyes, such grace, such-

The animal's features reminded me of who I had run from. It was almost as if this animal was the prince himself, calling out to me in a form I would never know to be him. The way the arctic fox pup looking at me with pleading eyes also seemed to bear the eyes of my prince, how he would always plead with me to get what he wanted, whatever it may have been.

I shook my head and dispelled the thought. I was away from the manor now, away from my prince, and it was going to stay that way.

The fox looked up to me, begging. It whimpered loudly, as if asking for something. Food, maybe? A way to it's mother? With motives unknown, there was little for me to do except whisper a small apology, as there was nothing I could do to help him. It's ears drooped at my words, almost like it had heard and understood me. A wave of guilt washed over me at this. I sighed and raised the pup enough so that he could climb in my lap, which he didn't hesitate to do.

I slowly ran my hand across the white pelt of the beautiful creature, and before I was aware of it, I had made a new friend. The creature nuzzled up to me, buried it's face in my suit, and let out soft whimpers of content.

There was affection welling up inside me. Over a mere animal, at that. I was surprised in myself, but I was alright with it. I didn't want the creature to leave, in all honesty, and it took my heart a moment to process exactly what that meant. Even it was surprised to know that I was drawn towards an animal, something I vowed would never happen.

"Taube," I murmured to myself. "That's what I'll name you. Is that alright?"

 I swore it understood my language, because it barked happily, though it sounded like small squeaks coming from a pup. I smiled, then stood. My legs were numb, but I didn't care.

"Let's go, Taube. Into our new life."

Me and my newfound and beautiful fox pup, whom I gave the name "Dove", meandered into the prospering village that seemed to be nocturnal.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

(A/N) Hey guys! Just a little filler for now. Anyway, I wanted to thank you all so much for 500 reads! I'm glad so many of you have taken the time to read this story. I'm really excited about this story, and I'm eager to see you guys' reactions for what I have in store soon!

Gute Nacht alle zusammen!