Chapter 19

Chapter 19 (Percy's POV)

"Perfect. Now I want to test you. Swim over to the deep end and see if you can still hold yourself up." Nico swam over and stayed up above water, only stumbling once on the way there. "Great! Now we can move to the other pool." Nico didn't seem to like that idea too much, "do we have to? I just got used to this one."

"If you don't keep climbing the ladder, you'll never get to the roof." He frowned, "When did you get so motivational?"

"My boss says it's encouraging." Nico got out of the pool, water dripping from his swim trunks. "Well, it's not. It's annoying." I laughed, "I know, but I guess that's kinda the point. Oh and, just to give you a heads up, the water is colder over here."

He stepped in and shivered. He struggled to stay up at first, so I helped him. "Relax. It's no different than being in the other pool."

"Yes it is! It's colder, and there's no safe zone."

"You won't need a safe zone if you just swim."

Nico started to swim so I slowly let him go. But instead of going to the deeper end, he just went to the other side. "That's cheating," I said and followed him. "No, it's not." He clung the edge.

I rolled my eyes, "nice loop hole but it won't work." I pointed to the deep end, "swim that way." He gripped the side harder, "you do it."

"Fine, I'll do it first, and then we'll do it together." I swam down the pool and stopped at the end. "See, it's not bad" I yelled and swam back.

"Now, let's do it together. I won't let you go under, but you have to stay relaxed and keep swimming." He slowly let go of the side of the pool, then steadied himself before swimming over to the other end. I stayed by him the whole time. When he got to the other side, he grabbed the edge. "You made it. Now, swim back."

"No."

"Nico-"

"No." I sighed, "You have 10 minutes of your lesson left, and you want to waste it?"

"Yes." I narrowed my eyes. He was very stubborn, but I wasn't going to let him win. "Just swim over there and you'll be done for the day."

"No."

"I'll buy you a cookie," I thought that would work, but he only gave me a weird look. "Okay, fine. We can stay here in the cold water until you swim over there." He looked over the edge of the pool, then tried the climb over. I grabbed him and pulled I'm back down. He huffed, "Fine, but I want that cookie."

"Deal."

He swam back over to the ladder and climbed out, I followed him.

"So, after you get me my cookie, what are we going to do today?" Nico asked. "Um, I actually have an idea. Remember that date I promised?"

...

Nico and I walked in Krispy Kreme. "What do you want?" I asked once we got to the counter. "Chocolate milk and... a chocolate glazed donut."

After we made our order, we sat down at a small table. The busy streets of New York were seen through the large window beside us. "I haven't been here in awhile," I said. "Me either."

His cheek caught my eye, the small bruise looked a lot better. I've seen Clayton in the locker room at school, his nose seemed to be broken. The look on Nico's face when he saw that said it all, he was proud of what he did.

"You know, I never knew you could play basketball. When did you learn?" Nico shrugged, "when I was little, Bianca and I played at the park. I guess it's just experience." His face became hard and unreadable. I knew his past was sensitive, so I left those questions alone. "How is your donut?"