Chapter 18

Chapter 18 (Nico's POV)

I got in the waiting car with Will. "Good morning, Death Boy." I glared at him, "Death Boy?"

"Yeah, you look like death. What's wrong?" I sighed, "I didn't sleep well last night." I never slept well when my dad was out of state. It was something I did ever since I was eight. Will knew my dad was in Texas, he also remembered how I did the last time he left.

"Your dad is fine," Will said and started the drive to school. "I know, but I keep thinking about what could happen to him. He's in the same area as a serial killer Will. Do you blame me?"

"No, I don't. I get it, I would be worried too. But didn't he call you this morning?" I thought back to when he told me he was okay, and there was nothing to worry about. Hazel told him I wasn't doing well.

"Yeah, he did." I looked out the window and tried to think past the fact that my dad was studying the dead victims of a serial killer who was still loose. "You see? He's fine." I knew he would be, but that didn't stop myself from over-thinking the situation.

"What happened to your cheek?" His question reminded me to take the Band-Aid off. "Oh, I got into a fight with Clayton yesterday."

The car jolted, "What?!? And I'm just now hearing about this? What happened?" I knew he would react that way, Hazel was worse. She might've been my little sister, but that didn't stop her from acting like my mother.

I told him what happened, leaving out a few details here and there. Will was quiet until I finished. "Wow. I wish I was there to see that."

...

"Finally, I'm so hungry!" I said and got in Percy's car. His swim practices took forever. Percy laughed, "Where do you want to go?"

"Do you like Arby's?" I asked, leaning back against the seat. He did the same to meet my eyes, "I love Arby's." I smiled, "great, let's go." Percy started the car, "drive-thru?"

"Yes please."

We went through Arby's, and I handed Percy the money for my chicken sandwich. "I can pay for it." I shook my head, "when you take me on that date you can pay for my food." His cheeks flushed at the mention of the date he promised a week before. He took the money and combined it with his.

Once we got our food, we parked out in front to eat. Percy got an original beef sandwich with curly fries. He picked one up, a long spiral one. "Get one of yours and we can compare sizes."

I got one of my spiral fries and held it up to his. Percy's was way bigger that mine. He grinned, "I win." I grumbled, "Eat your freakishly long curly fry and leave mine alone." He laughed and ate it.

"So, you think you did well on the test?" Percy hummed, "yeah, but I failed the math quiz." I nodded in agreement, "I did too. Math is a weak subject for me."

We were quite for a moment, then Percy said, "I told my mom last night."

I slowly set my sandwich down. "What did she say?" He shrugged, "she's completely okay with it. Have you told your dad?"

"No, I want to wait. I don't know how he would react."

"To you being gay?" I decided I was going to be honest to him. "No, to me dating you."

"He doesn't like me?" Percy's face turned to a concerned frown. I didn't want it to come out the wrong way, so I chose my words carefully.

"He doesn't hate you, but you irritate him."

"How?"

"I don't know, he once said you irked him to the point where he wanted to leave the state." Percy's eyebrows pressed together and looked away. "Don't worry about it, though. It's not going to change the way I feel about you."