Chapter 2

Chapter 2 (Nico's POV)

Will was talking to me about what happened in his music class. I wasn't paying him much attention, just swirling my fork around in my mashed potatoes. I couldn't get a pair of green eyes out of my head. The same pair of eyes I fell for when I was just ten years old. Percy Jackson had made a big affect on my life, in both good and bad ways. Will knew about my secret, he was the only person I allowed myself to get close to. It hurt to be friends with Percy, so I mostly ignored him.

"Percy's looking at you" Will whispered into my ear. I looked up into the sea-green eyes that were responsible for my heartache. I was expecting him to look away at any second but he didn't. The corners of his mouth lifted slightly as he continued to stare at me. I stared back with curiosity. Someone walked in front of him and he blinked. He looked down at his tray then looked over to his left where his girlfriend sat.

Percy and Annabeth got together two months ago, shattering and hope I had left. Annabeth was a very nice person, though, I couldn't hate her. Her blonde hair and good-natured smile, along with her personality made it obvious why he chose her over me. I sighed and laid my fork down. "Aw, don't be sad Nico. You'll find someone" Will said, giving me a weak smile.

It wasn't like I didn't want to believe him; it was because people didn't like me in general. My dad was forensic; he studied dead bodies to find the cause of death or evidence after a crime. Apparently, helping solve murder cases was creepy and disgusting. My dad was the only parent I had, my mom died when I was five. I also lost my older sister when I was ten, so people use that stuff against me to say my family is cursed with death. People could be so stupid it surprised me.

"Hey, can I come home with you? My family has been driving me crazy lately" Will asked, trying to balance a fork on his nose. I smiled a little, "sure, I'll be home alone for a while anyways." The fork fell off his face and landed in his peas, splashing him with pea juice. He frowned and wiped his cheek with a napkin, "Hazel won't be there?" I shook my head, "no, she joined an art club and will be there for a few hours."

He nodded and tried again to get the fork to balance.

...

I sighed in relief and leaned against the seat of Will's car. The end of a school day was always my favorite part. Percy sat beside me in our Italian class, which was my last class of the day. His smell was intoxicating, even though it wasn't always pleasant. Every now and then he would ask me a question or try to talk to me before class starts.

Will cranked up the car and started to pull out. "What do you want to do when we get to your house?" Will asked, driving out of the school parking lot. "I don't know, watch TV? Walk in the woods? There isn't much to do."

"We'll find something" he responded before turning on the radio. I didn't live too far away so I didn't have to put up with Will's bad music taste for too long. Thank goodness.

When we finally got to my house, I got out of the car before I strangled Will to death. He sang the whole time; he had better consider himself lucky that I didn't knock him out. I unlocked the door and let him in before closing it behind me. "You want to watch TV?" Will asked, picking up the remote. "I'm too hungry to watch TV right now," I said, getting a pomegranate out of the fridge. "Why fruit?" Will sat down at the kitchen table beside me. I cut into the pomegranate before answering.

"I love fruit," I said simply, scooping out some seeds. "But, what's wrong pizza?" I rolled my eyes at him. "Nothing, I just wanted a pomegranate." He narrowed his eyes at me before asking, "Can we order a pizza?" I sighed, "Sure, as along as you pay for it." He smiled and got his phone out.

Will walked into the living room to order his pizza. Eating my fruit, what happened in the lunchroom popped back into my mind. Percy's green eyes staring into mine with a far away look in them; he did that in the gym too. I was starting to get self-conscious. Will came back and sat back down in his seat. He drummed his fingers on the table and sighed, "you want to watch a movie?" I nodded, a movie sounded good.

...

After Will ate his pizza and left, Hazel came home. "Hey Nico, how was your day?" she plopped down on the couch beside me. "Fine, I guess. How was your art club?" Hazel was my other sister. Half-sister, it's a long story. She had dark colored skin and golden eyes. Her cinnamon brown hair was shoulder length and curly.

"Fun, as usual. When is Dad getting home?" I sighed and looked at the clock. "Uh, he should be home any minute now." The sound of the front door opening and my dad's voice came a moment later. "I'm home," he said and walked into the living room.

My dad had black hair and pale skin, basically looking like a corpse. He was always working and barely spent time with us, or in general. He was a loving father, he just spent too much time with the dead. "Hey dad" Hazel greeted with a smile. "What's for dinner?" I asked. He sat down on the couch between me and my sister and sighed.

"What do you want?" he slung his arm around my shoulders. I frowned and pulled it off before answering his question, "spaghetti." He looked at me, "whatever my baby boy wants" he cooed and pinched my chin. I scowled and yanked my chin from his hand. He knew I hated that, he just loved to mess with me.

I glared at him, but he just ruffled my hair and got up off the couch. "Spaghetti sound good to you Hazel?"

"I love spaghetti" Hazel answered and followed him to the kitchen. I just sat there, alone with my thoughts and the voices of my sister and dad in the background.