Chapter 17

Chapter 17 (Percy's POV)

Nico and I walked down the hallway. I still had my swim practice before we could go to his house. "I gotta 79% on the pop quiz," I said. "What did you make Brainiac?" His eyebrows scrunched together, "95%. And I'm not a brainiac. I'm just smarter than you."

"Ouch," I said, pretending it hurt more than it did. Nico stopped walking, "I'm sorry." He looked afraid that he done something wrong. I laughed, "it's okay Nico." I grabbed his hand and gave it a squeeze. He gave me a small smile.

Three guys came around the corner. Immediately, the feeling in the air changed. Nico yanked his hand free from mine.

"Well hello, Nico. Where are you two going?" I recognized him as Clayton Fox, the same guy who was messing with Nico during P.E. "Well, if you would get your head out of your ass, then you would know we're going somewhere that doesn't concern you." Nico retorted.

Clayton glared, "how about you put your money where your mouth is?" Nico's eyes were watching their every move; his hands were fists at his sides. "No problem," he said slowly, his words slick with venom.

I've had my fair share of school fights, and it was clear Nico was about to get into one. The problem was, I wasn't positive Nico would be able to take on Clayton, especially if his two friends were going to help. They were bigger, taller, older.

"But I rather not do this on school property, the last thing I need is to deal with Mr. Perrimon" Clayton grumbled.

"He doesn't need to find out," Nico said and slipped off his backpack. He advanced, and all three looked ready to pounce. I was about say something, but Nico beat me to it.

"Wow Clayton, can't you fight for yourself?" he snorted. Clayton's nostrils flared, "they won't interfere, as long as your boyfriend promises to do the same." His eyes flickered to me. I put my arms up, "it's not my fight."

Nico looked relieved that I agreed not to step in. His anger radiated off him and for one second, all the doubts I had about Nico winning just fell through the floor. In fact, the look on Nico's face made me glad he liked me.

Clayton made the first move, taking a jab at Nico's left cheek. He slammed into the wall with a groan. I gripped the strap of my backpack. I wanted to do something, but I promised not to.

Nico stood back up, then blocked Clayton's next punch. He kicked Clayton in the stomach and punched him in the nose. Clayton stumbled back, clutching his nose. A little blood trickled down between his fingers. Nico pressed his fingers to his cheek to checked for blood. There was none, just a nasty bruise.

Clayton recovered quickly and punched at Nico again, this time connecting with Nico's shoulder. Nico countered with his fist slamming into Clayton's jaw, though not hard enough to cause real damage.

The fight was hard to watch. I didn't like Nico being swung around and hit, but he handled himself pretty well. With every move Clayton made, Nico was able to counter it. He was quick and smart with everything he did.

Clayton took another jab at Nico's face, but Nico caught his fist. He twisted his arm in an 80-degree angle, and then flung him into his two friends. They all clattered to the floor like surprised bowling pins. Nico grabbed his backpack off the floor, "see ya Clayton!" He took hold of my arm and dragged me down the hall to the nearest exit.

We didn't say anything until we were in my car. "Wow Nico" was all I was able to say. Nico tried to say something, but winced. That's when I saw how bad his cheek really was. "Let's go put some ice on that," I said and pulled out of the parking lot.

His house wasn't that far away. I was glad for that because I could tell how much pain Nico was in. He held his cheek the whole ride and kept looking at it in the mirror. It looked painful too, reddish purple and swollen.