Chapter One

"Awe, look at little Marcel" teases Jake, one of the most popular guys at school,"whatcha reading, Mar-Mar? 50 shades of grey?" He asks sarcastically, earning a round of laughs from his friends, the six other boys standing around him,"I'm talking to you, dipshit!" Jake spits desperate for a responce from the smaller darker-haired boy on the ground.

his eyes remain locked onto the pages of his novel, his fingers grip the paperback book in one of his hands, the strap of his backpack tighter with his opposite, remembering what Jake had done with it the last time, the dirty fabric,once white colored material still stained with mud and marker spots, spelling out the word "fag" written sloppily where his fingers pressed.

"Are you deaf or something?" Jake says a bit louder,before kicking Marcel in his side,a yelp of pain and shock escapes his now parted lips,"say something you little bitch!" Jake yells, his foot connecting once again with Marcel's rib cage. "L-leave me alone" Marcel says , his voice small, fear apparent in his words "what did you say to me?" growls Jake "n-nothing" Marcel says , trying his best to sort out his stuttering habbit.

"He said to leave him alone." a voice says from behind them,"and who the fuck do you think you are?" questions the now very angry jock, turning to face a brown-haired boy,a little shorter than Jake, but not by a lot, "well, I could tell you I think I'm a low-life arsehole but that position is already taken, and wow mate, you're doing a great job at it." the boy says simply, his blue eyes set on the face of Jake.

"I know your tiny brain doesn't understand half as much as that of a third grader, but try to think this through, if you lay a hand on him again, i'll take both of your hands and sell them on ebay for less than your slag of a mother is worth on the street corner, got it?" The boy said without as much as a blink, Marcel's eyes open wide in suprise,adjusting his glasses, squinting to see the face of the boy who was defending him.

Marcel hadn't seen him before,he hadn't even known his name, why would some stranger care if he got the piss beaten out of him or not? "whatever Tomlinson" scoffs Jake "don't take such pity on the kid, we all know you're on the look-out for another boyfriend, but even a twat like you can do better than him " Jake chuckles, turning his head to face a blonde boy with dark brown eyes,who was busting a gut over his comment, Marcel hadn't known his name either, but he remembered clearly when he had been receiving punches to the head from him almost a week ago.

The beatings had been happening for a while now, almost for two years, Marcel, now one year away from graduating High-School had never remembered getting warned about how tough his last years of school would be for him. His thoughts interrupted by multiple thuds and a gasp, Jake doubled in half, his arms grasping his stomach, the brown-haired boy says something to the taller boy, to quiet for Marcel to hear, before grabbing his jacket up from the pavement, Jake's friends watch in silence, unsure of what to do as he walks to Marcel.

His steps bearly grazing the cement, almost as if he was floating on air,"come on, kid" he says as he holds out his hand to Marcel who pulls himself to his feet, flattening down his hair, and adjusting his sweater,before the nameless guy swiftly picked Marcel's backpack and the book he had dropped, off of the ground, setting the book into his open hands carefully, keeping eye contact through the thick lenses of Marcel's glasses.

"thank you" Marcel says softly in his tiny accent, his voice nasily, his eyes once again falling to the ground where Jake sits, his head down and his eyes clampt shut. "sure thing" he says,a small smile on his face, "I should go..I'll see you later...um.." "Marcel" Marcel finishes for him,"Marcel," the boy repeats,"it's nice to meet you" he says, holding out his hand for Marcel to shake.

"you too....um....do you have a name?" asks Marcel who slowly pulls his hand away, taking his backpack from the boy and swinging it over his shoulder "I'm Louis,...and i'm going to be late for science.." he says pulling his phone out of his pocket to check the time,"i'll see you around, Marcel" He smiles before jogging around the other side of the school.

Jake 's friends help him off of the ground, and to the nurses office,where Jake denies the entire thing. if he had admitted to hitting Marcel, for the third time this week he would have mostlikely had to stay after school for an hour and do something dumb like clean desks or something, if he would have admitted to getting beaten up by Louis, it would have knocked a bit off of his ego..he stayed quiet when the nurse had asked, and she only made a note to put into his file. Nothing broken, just a bruise.