Frontier Style

From: Piper
To: Mom
Subject: RE: Donations

"Mom,
Yes, there's a backup plan to breast feeding. Fortunately for us, the protein shake that makes up most of our rations isn't too far off a baby formula itself. We checked it out with a nutritionist. The doc just needs to adjust the nutrient levels using filtered water and supplements.

As for diapers, well did you know that space suits include a diaper? Yep, you don't want to have to strip out of one of those just to take a pee, so they include a washable absorbent lining. We sacrificed a few of those to make baby diapers.

As for baby clothes, everybody got to bring up to two pounds of clothing or whatever else of their choice that would remind them of home, and every one of them has donated from their stash to make baby clothes. For instance, Jerry has this plaid shirt that was his dad's. It's a heavy flannel, green and brown. He says his dad always had a shirt like that, the entire time he was growing up. When one wore out, he would buy another exactly like it, and so when his dad died, it was the one thing he wanted from the estate. Now he says he can't think of a better way to remember his dad than by seeing our baby wear it. It's enough to make even me cry.

Since my job is basically to play with RC cars and quadcopters all day, I plan to work up until my water breaks. To be quite honest, one of the reasons I'm really eager to get this baby pushed out is so I can go EVA. I know you'd be just as happy if I spent the rest of my life safe inside the Hab, but believe it or not, I didn't come to an unexplored planet to be cooped up inside forever."

Love,

Piper