Letters from Dad: Mom's Attitude

To: Piper
From: Dad
Subject: RE: Mom's Attitude.
Date: May 1st, 2038

Piper,

Of course your mom is proud of you. You should hear the way she talks to other people about you. She knows everything you're doing up there, and everything you've ever told her about being there.

But remember, we were foster parents for a long time before you came along.  We also had several adoptions fall through. We said goodbye to a lot of kids over the years. Until you, we never heard from any of them again. We tell ourselves that we did our part for them, even though they've no memory of us. Other people tell us it was all part of God's Plan. We want to tell them to shove it, but we contain the urge.

Both your mother and I developed a kind of PTSD. Every phone call, visit and email from the State felt like an ambush. We literally could not sleep at night. It dragged on for years. Even after your paperwork was all signed, your mom had nightmares that some lawyer or social worker would find a way to take you away. Sorry, I know you don't really like hearing about all that; I don't like talking about it, either.

When you reached adulthood, we finally relaxed. And then you told us you were going to Mars, and now the first thought in your Mom's head, whenever you talk about Mars, is that she won't ever get to hug you again.

Please keep writing to your mother. Be patient. Your mom loves the shit out of you. Being your mom has always meant more to her than anything else in her life. Nothing else even comes close. Read between the lines and you'll get that.

Anne shut her laptop with a snap. Her food arrived at that moment. Her appetite was gone.