"Had?"

"Well, technically he has blonde hair, but we aren't together anymore. So it's had."

"Oh. Sorry to hear that," Jesse said.

Quinn shrugged. "It was a long time ago."

"So, did you two meet at a birthing class or something?" Jesse asked, pointing between me and Quinn. Taylor started laughing.

"No, we met at Britney's Babies," I said.

"Ah. Well, that's cool you guys are friends. You can help each other through motherhood."

My phone buzzed. I like this guy, Taylor sent.

I glanced at her and she gave me a look that said what?

"Well, sorry to cut our chat short, ladies, but I've got to go. My dad is in town helping me fix up my basement, so I better not keep him waiting for his coffee. It'll be cold soon." Jesse stood up. "It was nice meeting you, Taylor and Quinn. Emily, nice seeing you again."

"Yeah," I smiled. "See you later."

"Bye!" The girls chorused.

He grinned and waved before walking out the door.

"Okay, I'll admit, he doesn't seem that bad," Taylor said. "My spidey senses are tingling, and they say he's not looking for a relationship from you. My gaydar says he's not gay either."

"Gaydar?"

"Yeah. Radar with gay in front? Come on, Emily, keep up!"

"Sorry, Alex."

"Oh no, I do sound like Alex!" She moaned.

"Jesse is gorgeous," Quinn spoke.

I laughed a genuine laugh this time. "You think that about every guy. You even think Austin is gorgeous."

"True. And yeah, because he is."

I glanced at my watch and stood up. "I should head home. I miss my baby."

"Which one?" Taylor said.

I grabbed my purse and glared daggers at her. "Guess."

"Just trying to lighten the mood."

"I'm not in the lightening mood, but thanks for the talk. I needed it," I told them.

"Anytime. Call if you need anything!" Quinn smiled.

"Good luck, girlfriend," Taylor said.

I waved and headed out the door to my car.

When I got home, I parked and headed inside into the hallway. I threw my jacket on the coat rack and walked down the hallway into the kitchen.

I set my keys on the counter. "Hello?"

There was no answer, so I walked into the den and found Austin asleep on the couch with Pancakes at his feet.

I backed out and went upstairs to find Lucy in bed. I smiled and walked over, bending to kiss her head lightly.

"Sleep tight, sweetie," I whispered. "I love you so much. I hope you know that."

When I got back downstairs, Pancakes walked out of the den and stopped at my feet. "Hey girl," I said, scratching her ears. "Come on."

She followed me to the living room, where I curled up on the chair and grabbed my songbook. I wrote two sentences before I heard Austin get up.

"Here we go," I muttered.

He went to walk past the doorway into the kitchen, but backtracked when he saw me. "You're home early."

"It's almost been two hours."

"Oh."

"Yeah."

There was an awkward silence, and I really just wanted to go back to Ginger's at that point.

"How was your lunch, or whatever you did?" Austin finally asked.

"It was fine," I shrugged.

"See anybody you knew?"

"Yep. Jesse." No sense in hiding it. Look where that got me last time.

Austin's jaw clenched and he whipped around, storming into the kitchen.

"Oh, for god's sake," I muttered, getting off the chair and following my angry boyfriend. "Austin, we have to talk about this!"

"We did, over the phone."

"That wasn't talking about it, and you know it."

"What do you want me to say, Emily? That I'm happy Jesse just happened to show up at Ginger's the same time you were there? Because I'm far from happy!" Austin exclaimed. "I'm telling you, he wants you! How can he only want to be friends with a girl as beautiful as you?"

"He really did just show up! I didn't know he was going to be there," I said. "Austin, you have to believe me. When have I ever lied to you before?"

"That time when you let me believe people were coming to see me perform at the studio when they were really only coming for the kangaroo!"

Really? That's the best he had? Okay, yes, I did do that, but it was only so his feelings wouldn't be crushed. I was looking out for him!

"That was for your own well being."

"It was still a lie."

I pinched the bridge of my nose, and in a small voice, I said, "Austin. We've been best friends for six years, and I've loved you for five of them. I will always, always love you. Not Bradley Cooper, not George Clooney, not One Direction, and not Jesse. Look, I know I screwed up, and I shouldn't have done what I did. But I only have eyes for you." My eyes filled with tears. "And it kills me that you don't seem to believe that."

My boyfriend was quiet, so I continued. "I didn't cheat on you."

"I know that, Emily," Austin said quietly before looking at me. "But it feels like you did."

I wrapped my arms around myself. "I don't know what else to say."

"I just," Austin started. "I need some time. To think."

My head whipped up. "So what are you saying?"

"I'm going to stay at Alex's for a while," he replied.

"A-are you breaking up with me?" I asked thickly.

"I just need space." He slipped past me and upstairs, presumably to pack a bag.

"You didn't answer my question!" I yelled after him, but he didn't reply.

When he came back down, he did have a bag. "I called Alex. He knows I'm coming."

"Did you say bye to Lucy?" I asked softly.

Austin nodded, and I saw tears forming in his eyes. Glad to see he'll miss at least one of us. He cleared his throat. "Yeah, I did."

It was quiet for a few seconds before I said "Well, uh." I cleared my throat to unblock the lump that was threatening. "I guess I'll see you whenever you get back."

"It won't be long." He walked to the door and opened it. He turned around and quietly said, "Bye, Ems." With that, he shut the door, and he was gone.

"Ems," I whispered before sliding to the floor and bursting into tears. "What have you done?"