Chapter Thirty Six

Start from the beginning

"Yes, crystal clear!" Cole whimpered desperately, holding his head in his hands.

"Good. Let's go home, Sophia. You're safe now"

~~~

Only Flynn and Tristan were there to welcome us home, and neither if them were smiling. They both had pained expressions on their red faces, as if they'd been crying.

"What's up?" Chase asked carefully, his voice guarded.

Tristan burst into tears again, crying into Flynn's chest. Flynn wrapped an arm around him, but seemed on the verge of tears himself.

"He's gone" Flynn whispered, tears escaping his sad icy blue eyes. Eyes that were usually so playful and happy.

"What do you mean 'he's gone'? Who's gone?" Chase whispered frantically, the pieces clicking on his head. Only Flynn and Tristan stood before him, where was his twin?

"Where's Tyson?" He demanded in a hushed whisper.

Flynn shook his head sadly. "I'm so sorry, Chase"

~~~

Chase's POV
I'd read their thoughts before I'd heard their words, but I had hoped it was all a sick, twisted joke.

Obviously, I was wrong. I can't sense Tyson anywhere, the space in my mind that his thoughts usually flowed through in a constant trickle felt empty. It was as if somebody had physically torn a hole in my heart and replaced Tyson's part within it with emptiness.

"He's gone, isn't he?" I asked, feeling my eyes begin to water. I haven't cried in years, and yet, here I am, about to cry.

Tristan continued to bawl loudly, while Flynn stood next to him, eerily silent. I could see the tears tumbling down his face, but he didn't make a sound.

"What's going on, Chase?" Sophia whispered quietly.

I couldn't take it any longer. All reason left me as I ran forward, shoving past my two other brothers. I have to find Tyson! He has to be here somewhere!

"Chase, no!" Flynn shouted from behind me, attempting to grasp my mind in order to stop me. But I pushed his mental attack aside. I wasn't going to let anything keep me from my brother!

I caught his scent straight away, and raced upstairs after it.

His body lay propped up against the wall. I couldn't hear his heartbeat, nor his thoughts. His glassy green eyes seemed to stare at me, begging for help.

Somehow, he looked peaceful. I threw my arms around him, tears streaming freely down my face now.

"Tyson! What's wrong? Wake up, Tyson! I need you, I need you, please! Don't do this to me, don't leave me!" I sobbed into his shirt, inhaling his scent. The scent I'd grown up with.

I wasn't prepared to let him go, not yet! I can't accept that this is the truth...

My heart aches with sadness, he will never know how much I rely on him, how much I need him.

My heart spoke through my tears, words failing me. There was so much I still have to say to him...

"I'll hold onto all the memories we made together, brother. I love you, forever and always" and with that, I closed his glassy, dead eyes.

~~~
A few days later

Chase's POV
''Here lies Tyson Lynall,
Beloved son and brother,
May he forever rest in peace'

I visited Tyson's grave the day after the funeral. It was the only grave out here in the forest, but I thought it was appropriate to place it here.

Tyson loved spending time in the woods. He liked to read his manga out here, he said it was because sometimes he just needed time alone to think. He'd always been a solitary vampire, preferring his own company to any others.

He was much like me in that respect. I loved it out here in the woods, too. But I liked it for a different reason.

I like it out here because it is free from the constraints humans built themselves. Just to be among nature made me happier than ever, which is why I like horses so much. They're truly free.

Humans are greedy and selfish, animals... While wild animals can be loyal and are always free. I like that about them. They have no limitations, nothing holding them back.

"I will always love you, no matter what, my beloved brother" I whispered, kneeling by his grave stone. I ran my hand down the rough, cold surface and sighed.

"I'm going to miss your stupid comments and goofy smile, Tyson" I whispered before finally getting up and heading back to the house, tears in my eyes.