Chapter Nine~ Mietra: The Goddess of Etra

Start from the beginning

      "We haven't seen each other in gods know how long and the first thing you do is give me that dumb look on your face?" She scolded, brushing away a lock of hair from her eyes. "You're still as dumb as that kid in the woods aren't you?"

      James smiled at the young queen, "My apologies your highness, the statue I had erected in your honor was not ready for your arrival." He joked in a sarcastic tone. "Perhaps my first born son would suffice?"

Ariana looked away, crossing her arms. "That certainly will not do! A queen of my stature deserves more than the first born son of a hideous peasant boy."

James bowed to the girl, "You are absolutely right, how foolish of me. A queen such as yourself deserves better. Perhaps a crown that will actually sit still on your oversized head?"

Ariana was shocked, putting her hands to her head. "It is not oversized you jerk!"

      It was the first time in so many months that James laughed as he did with the Queen of Erenhollow. They only met once, in the Black Woods, but it was enough to form a close bond with each other. James had been separated from Odeon and Ariana was trying to run away from home. They protected each other those couple of days they spent searching for the capital. It seemed Ariana was not ready to take the throne after her grandmother's death, so she ran. James wondered if that same hesitation lingered in the girl that stood before him.

      Ariana got close to James and hugged him, "It's good to see you James."

He held her back firmly, a silent cue that told her he felt the same. She released him and wrapped her arm in his, "Come, walk with me."

Although the city square was a huge space, it was crazy to think that all the people of Miora could fit in this space. The sun was beginning to set and the street lamps were beginning to flare to life one by one. Off to the center of the square, James could see the organizers setting seats for the elderly and the children who came to the event. Amongst them was Trost, having idle conversation with an older woman. He stifled a laugh as he noticed that the older woman was Loreina, who looked to be getting the better of the King.

Glad I'm not near those two right now.

    "So tell me, how has life been treating you?" Ariana asked as she kept a close eye at the food that was being prepared not too far from them.

    "It's been alright I guess. Still having trouble with my powers," he answered. "How's being Queen of the Depths treating you?"

    "Not as tough as I thought it would be. I can show up to work when I want and sit in my chambers and read all day. Speaking of which, did you ever get those books I had sent for you?"

    "I read every single one. They were really interesting; especially the one about the man searching for his wife in the afterlife. Kind of got to me when the book just ends with him  finding out she was never there and she was still alive."

Ariana jumped, "I know! I had my men drag the writer to palace and demanded he write a different ending."

James looked at the Queen, "Did he?"

She smiled at him, "He sure did. I'll be sure to send you a copy as soon as I get back home."

    The couple walked over to an empty bench and sat down, the crowded plaza sprawled out before them. She still had her arm wrapped around his.

    "Can  I tell you something?" He asked.

Ariana got close, her black dress resting softly onto James' coat. "Sure, what's on your mind?"