Chapter Two~ The Girl with the Flaming Head

James didn't know what to say to the girl as they walked through the quiet streets. They've been walking side by side with each other for about fifteen minutes and not word was said after leaving the alley. Every now and then James would glance to her direction, and he wasn't sure, but he could feel her doing the same. At one point they both looked at each other at the same moments and immediately ripped their gazes from one another. The silence was starting to fester into annoyance. Not in a bad way, but in a way that makes you feel as if you have nothing to say so you keep quiet hoping the other strikes a conversation.

    The snow was beginning to fall a little bit heavier now, and soon the streets would be covered in many layers of snow. The lanterns started flickering to life one by one, signaling the transition from evening to dusk. Although the girl didn't talk, he did appreciate the company for once. James usually kept to himself and didn't make lots of friends. Just like Alice, he didn't talk much to anyone he didn't know, so he couldn't fault her for being quiet. James' lifestyle didn't call for many ties or bonds with people. It was for the best. Goodbyes were always the hardest part of life. He had learned that the hard way so many times. So he didn't mind the silence, just her presence was enough to satisfy him. They continued walking through the vacant streets leading to the city gates, side by side with fruit in their arms.

~

    James and Alice were now out of Moira and walking on a dirt road that lead out to the farmland outside of the city. James had to break his silence.

    "So do you normally travel this much by foot?" He asked.

The girl's lips parted, finally ready to speak, "Unfortunately. It is expensive to find an apartment in Moira. Me and my housemate hardly get by with what we make at our jobs so we live in an old cabin out near the farmland."

James tried hard not give her a sympathetic look.

    "It's not as bad as it sounds," She added, sensing James' sympathy. "We have a beautiful view of Moira from the hill we live on. And the farmers sell us some of their stock at a discounted price. It's simple, but we get by."

James tried to shake the thought, but in all honesty he wouldn't mind listening to her all day.

    "A horse," James started. "You guys should get yourselves a horse."

    "Oh we tried, but they are so expensive. Five gold for a steed is enough to put food on our table for the better part of a year. Besides we don't even make that much."

    Although most families were able to live off a decent wage in Etra, there were those that couldn't. It would be impossible for King Trost to eliminate all signs of poverty in his kingdom. Most special aid the King set up were staggered during the winter time so people like Alice and her roommate would have to wait until the spring time for them to get help.

    "We're here," she says.

They approached a small cabin composed of oak wood, glass windows and a brick chimney. Alice was right when she said it wasn't as bad as it sounded. He wondered how much maintenance the girl and her roommate must have done to make it look the way it did.

    They reached the front door. James' nerves began riling him up, making him believe that the best thing to do in this situation was to hand Alice all her fruit and walk back to the town. Suddenly, the doors flew open and a knife swung right to his face. James dodged the blow by a hair and before he could say anything the same knife was lunged at him again, this time claiming a piece of his sleeve with it. He was now dancing like a monkey as the fight forced him inside the cabin with his arms full of flying fruit and vegetables. James thought he had a good read on where the next slash was going to come from until he tripped on one of the apples he had dropped during his dance and crashed to the floor. The groceries spilled everywhere. Almost immediately a veil of crimson hair was over his face, the knife now pressed to his throat. It was another girl. Alice's roommate.