Chapter 23

I close the house door behind me and step in. I left Zeke with a very difficult question: "Would you rather see me suffering and in pain for a few extra years?"

I walk into the kitchen and pour a glass of coke.

"No, i would rather see you in no pain." A voice answers.

I spin on the spot to see Zeke sat at the breakfast counter in the kitchen. How did i not see him?

"I want the other one, the possible extra time." I whisper, pulling the stool around and sitting in front of him.

"What made you change your mind?" He asks, lifting his head up at me. I can't look at his pain filled eyes, the pain i caused.

"Something Cap made me realise, right before Colson marched in and begged me to come back to s.h.i.e.l.d." I explain.

"Are you meant to be there?"

"Yes, but i said i was coming to get you." I point out, finishing my drink.

"How's Pepper and the baby?"

"Alright. The baby can't breath on her own and they're still thinking of names."

"Aww. Should you go back to s.h.i.e.l.d and get the drug now?"

"Yes."

"Ill drive."

We reach headquarters and i scan my security card. We travel to floor 13 and i walk in. The workers turn to see me and send sympathetic looks. I go to yell at them, but Zeke places his hand on the small of my back and pushes me forward. Thor, Captain America, Hawkeye and Dr Banner are all stood at the back of the room, talking with Colson. He turns to me and smiles.

"Are you ready? This time you can't run off." Colson scolds and Cap starts laughing.

"I didn't run off. I snuck out." I correct him.

Colson shakes his head and heads down the corridor.

"God, he's becoming more like Fury everyday." I moan and the Avengers burst out laughing and agree with me. I hope this drug works or Im going to miss this.

I follow Colson, until we reach the room that looks like a hospital, the same room i escaped from earlier today. I climb onto the green squishy bed and lean back. The nurse enters with the blue drug in the needle. Zeke steps the other side and smiles down at me, planting a kiss on my forehead. The needle pierces through my skin and into my bloodstream, spreading the drug into every vein in my body.

"You alright?" Zeke asks.

"Yeah." I smile.

The nurse takes the needle away and i sit up, taping cotton wool to my arm.

"There's a gang forming in The city. We are just about to have a meeting, do you want to join us?" Colson asks.

"Sure." I reply.

Zeke's hands clasp my waist and he lifts me off the bed and places me on the ground. We follow Colson out of the room and into a meeting room.

The walls are white and there is a huge round table in the middle with leather chairs placed around. I pull one out and Zeke sits beside me as we wait for the Avengers. Colson goes out to find them.

"Im glad you changed your mind." Zeke whispers as his fingers slip between mine, like they were made to.

"Yeah, well. Thank Cap for that." I reply, smiling.

"Thank me for what?" Captain asks as he opens the door and sits down in the seat next to me.

"Changing my mind about taking the easy way out." I smile.

"Oh, just mentoring." He jokes and we burst out laughing but Zeke doesn't understand the joke.

The door opens as Colson, Thor, Dr Banner and Hawkeye all stroll in, dressed into their own clothes except Thor, who is kitted out in his god suit. They all sit down and glance around the room.

"How are you doing Skye?" Banner asks, looking at me.

"Im good, thank you."

"Right, the gang. They're called the blood Cobras and they plan to take over the army." Colson explains.

My head aches and i feel a drop of sweat fall from the back of my head and travel down my spine. Colson's voice distorts in my ears and ringing fills the silence. I blink my eyes and see their mouths move, but i don't hear the words. Zeke glances at me and i send him a confused look.

Zeke looks me directly in the eyes and turns to me.

The sounds return and Colson rambles on about the army.

"Skye! Are you okay?" Zeke asks and they all turn to look at me.

"I-I." I mutter, before my voice cuts off.

Everything goes black, the last thing i hear is Zeke yelling at me to wake up.

My body goes numb.

My breathing stops.