Chapter 16

The sound of machines whirring fills my ears as Hope screams at the top of her lungs. I sit on the bench, cuddled next to Zeke as the fairground ride spins upside down with Hope strapped on. The smell of candyfloss and popcorn fills my nose, making me smile.

"Where's Lucas?" I ask, glancing up at Zeke as the night breeze brushes his face.

"Getting donuts." Zeke points out, kissing my cold forehead.

The giant teddy bear lays on the bench beside me, its black button eyes staring straight up at the sky and it clutches a bright red velvet heart. His fur shakes in the breeze and i nuzzle my face in Zeke's neck.

The rides finishes and Hope stumbles off, her black ponytail frizzy and her brown eyes spinning in her head.

"You didn't stop screaming." I laugh and Zeke joins in, smiling at my laughter.

The fair is empty, i assume Zeke has paid it to stay here another night and it is in the middle of no where. I recognise a few famous people but only politely wave.

"Im back." Lucas says as he skips towards us, a white cardboard box in his hands.

Zeke takes the box and hands one to Hope and one to Lucas. Then he feeds me one and i only take a bite before i sprint off to the toilet block.

I push open a toilet stall and throw up. My stomach feels empty afterwards. I sit on the tiled floor and begin to sob. The tears slide down my face and crash onto the floor.

"Skye?" I hear Zeke shout.

"Yes." I whisper.

The green door is pushed open and Zeke steps in. He kneels beside me and pulls me against his chest. I wrap my arms weakly around his neck and lean my face into his neck.

"Zeke, i can't do this. I hate this." I admit.

"I know baby. I know." He whispers, his breath tickling my ear and making my skin tingle.

"Make it stop." I beg.

"Im so sorry."

A few hours later and we are all together on the sofa, watching the Inbetweeners. Zeke has his hand locked with mine and i have my free arm around Lucas, while Zeke has his arm around Hope. I lean my head against Zeke's shoulder and my eyes begin to flicker shut. Soon, Im in a deep sleep, surrounded by my family.

This is how i want to go, surrounded by my family.

*

I feel a sharp pierce on my arm and turn to see Zeke wiping my skin and throwing the needle away.

"Thank you." I whisper, taking his hand and kissing each individual finger.

"Ill always be here to look after you. Don't forget we are talking to the Avengers today." He reminds me, taking the flannel off my head and walking to the kitchen.

"Do i have to?" I whine, bashing my eyelids.

"Yes, babe."

"Do i really really have to?"

"Yes, babe."

I push off the blanket and walk to my bedroom. I jump in the boiling shower and pull on jeans and a hoodie.

But the sun shines brightly outside and Zeke appears in shorts and a t-shirt. I smile weakly and he wraps his arms around my waist. I kiss him deeply and laugh as he bites my ear.

"Stop now, i can't stand up." I admit, feeling my legs wobble underneath me.

"I can fix that." He says and scoops me into his arms like we are a newly wed couple.