Chapter 14

"He did what?" I ask, standing up.

"Lucas ran away." Zeke repeats.

"Why?" Dad asks behind me.

"If i knew that i wouldn't be here, i would be out finding him and making it better." Zeke hisses, taking a step towards dad.

I step between them, placing a hand on Zeke's chest.

"Count to ten babe." I whisper.

Zeke sighs and moves his lips as he counts.

"We will find him. He won't be far. When did you realise he had ran away?" I ask.

"He left a note on his door saying goodbye." Zeke explains, pushing the note onto the kitchen counter.

It is a plain small piece of paper, with Lucas' messy handwriting on saying 'goodbye'.

"Its has to have something to do with his dad." I suggest.

"His dad?" Dad questions.

"Lucas has had contact with his biological dad." I say.

"Do we have his address?"

"Yes." I exclaim.

"Jarvis, give me the address for Marcus Saunders." I order.

Suddenly, my phone rings in my pocket.

"Lucas? Where are you?" I ask into my phone.

"Its Marcus Saunders. Lucas is round my house. You must be his mum." A deep voice asks.

"Yes, I am."

"He doesn't know Im ringing you, but i don't want you to worry. Lucas is here and he is safe." Marcus comforts.

"That's great, thank you. Can we come pick him up?"

"Of course, i won't tell Lucas you are coming because i don't want him to panic."

"Okay, thank you Marcus." I say and put the phone down.

"Lets go then." Zeke announces.

Zeke pulls into the flat car park. The building towers over us, the bricks coated in mold and dust. I ring the buzzer for number 33. The door beeps and Zeke pulls it open and we head up the carpet covered stairs. We reach the right flat and knock on the door.

Marcus is quite tall with dirty blonde hair and glasses, he wear a black shirt and jeans, that make his brown eyes darker. His face is sprinkled with freckles.

"Hello." I say.

"Hello, Mrs Stark. Come in." He welcomes, stepping back inside.

The walls are cream and we step into a hallway, at the end is a black and white kitchen. To the left is a small bathroom and to the right is a living room. We follow Marcus into the living room and Lucas is sat on the wooden floor playing on a games console.

"Lucas, darling." I say.

His head snaps up at me, a look of guilt on his young freckled face.

"Mum? Dad? What are you doing here?" He questions.

"We came to get you. Marcus rang us." Zeke explains.

"I don't want to go with you. You stopped me from seeing Marcus, you said i had to wait weeks."

I kneel in front of Lucas.

"Sweetie, the reason i said wait a few weeks is because i am very sick, kiddo." I admit.

"What do you mean?" He pushes the games console away and gives me his full attention.

"I mean; i don't know how much longer i have, Lucas." I whisper.

"Im sorry i ran away." Lucas stands up and wraps his arms around my neck. I hold him close and don't want to let go.

"Come on, Lucas. We should go home now." Zeke suggests.

"Yes, dad." Lucas replies and pulls away from me and strolls out of the flat.

"Thank you Marcus." Zeke says, shaking his hand and walking out.

Lucas skips inside and goes straight to his room. Zeke's hands find my waist and he kisses up my neck.

"How are you feeling?" He whispers into my ear.

"Cold." I admit.

Zeke scoops me into his arms suddenly and i giggle as he places me on the sofa. He wraps a blue blanket around my shivering body and places a hot flannel on my forehead.

"I have to pick Hope up from work." I remind myself aloud.

"I'll do it. I think its best they stay off work for now." Zeke points out.

"Yeah." I mumble, my eyes begging to close and sleep.

"You need to tell them."

"I need to tell the Avengers not to come to me for a problem anymore too." I explain.

"I can do that for you."

"Thank you, but its better if it comes from me."

Soon, my eyes drop and i fall into a deep ice cold sleep.