Chapter 1

"Kids! Are you ready?" I shout up the stairs.

I stroll over to the kitchen and pour coffee into a silver metal travel mug.

"Jarvis, set a reminder for the meeting about Hope's old suit that is today at 6:30pm." I order.

Hope appears at the door, wearing a pair of pink pajamas. I sigh loudly.

"Im coming in late. I have a doctors appointment." Hope announces.

"Doctors appointment? Is it something you should tell me?" I question, placing my hands on my hips.

"No, mum." Hope whispers and walks back to her bedroom.

Hope is too much like me, she doesn't want to create a fuss by tellin people and wants to be independent.

"Lucas, are you ready?" I ask.

"Im here." He says, appearing in front of me and biting into a red shiny apple that i can see my reflection in.

Lucas' blonde hair is gelled up at the front and his green eyes shine with sleep. He is wearing a red shirt with jeans and a thin leather bracelet on his wrist.

"Come on then kid." I smile and grab my keys from the key rack.

We climb into the black porche and i turn on the radio as Zeke's band Fighting Blind blares in the car. Lucas glances at me and quickly turns it off.

"Thanks." I say, forcing a smile onto my face. I can't listen to Zeke at the moment.

Lucas scans his security card and walks to his desk. I walk past Pepper at the reception desk and march into my office. The birds sing outside the window and i throw my rucksack onto the small sofa that is in my office. I sigh loudly and crash onto the sofa.

A month ago everything was perfect. I had Zeke, Lucas and Hope by my side and we were a happy family. Now we're a struggling family. Zeke is staying in a hotel down the road to give me some space and now Hope and Lucas are getting further away from me.

"Are you alright?" A voice asks.

I look up to see Pepper stood at the glass office door, dressed in a black dress with black heels and make up. Her baby belly growing against the material dress, a baby that now has a developing brain and all its specialised body cells are no longer there.

"I don't know." I admit, leaning back on the sofa.

"Family problems?"

"Yep. Aren't you meant to be on maternity leave?" I question.

"I am, but staying at home doing nothing isn't for me." Pepper admits.

"You don't have to work. You can stay in here if you want. Or i can book you at the spa down the road." I suggest, twisting my Jarvis phone between my fingers.

"I like work." Pepper announces.

"You're a workaholic." I tease and Pepper laughs and i laugh with her.

"That's what Tony calls me."

"Your wedding was beautiful." I comment and i hear a phone ringing.

"That's mine. I should get it." Pepper says and marches out.

I walk up to my computer and project the military suit on the wall, it shows on the walls in blue lights. I use my fingers to move guns and missiles around.

"Delete Jarvis." I demand.

"Delete what, Miss?"

"It. All of this suit, this file. Delete."

"File deleted." And the lights disappear.

"Ring James." I order and sit in my office chair.

I pick up the phone and hold it against my ear. I don't want to see his reaction.

"Hey, how are you Skye?"

"Im alright, thanks. You?"

"Im surprised you're calling me. Don't you normally video call?"

"Yes, but I've got bad news." I announce.

"What is it?"

"I can't do the suits for the military. Mentally i can't do it. The suits are for me and my dad. We don't want the world to have them." I admit.

"I understand."

"Thanks James. I'll talk to you later." I say and end the call before he can argue.

"There's a letter here for you." Pepper announces, handing me a white envelope. I take it from her and lift it to the lamp, it contains just a piece of paper.

"This better not be another hate mail." I whisper.

Since mine and Zeke's relationship has hit a bump in the road, the media hasn't stopped talking about it. I've been getting hundreds of hate messages from people that used to be fans.

I slide my finger under the flap and open the note.

"Zeke's mine now as you don't want him."

I rip the paper and push it into the paper shredder, watching it turn into a jigsaw set.

"Everything alright?" Pepper asks.

"Yeah, everything is fine. I've got someone to call." I mumble and Pepper walks out.

I pick up my phone and the blue screen is projected in the air.

I dial the one number that i didn't think i would.

"Hey." He says and his hologram appears in front of me.

Zeke's blonde hair is messy and sticks up at odd angles. His emerald eyes shine with hurt and confusion. Zeke looks comfortable in his black suit.

"Hey. I think you should have the kids." I admit.

"Sure, why?"

"I need some time." I whisper, bowing my head.

"Sure. I'll pick them up later." He replies.

"Zeke, wait. Do you want to come for dinner with us tomorrow night?" I ask.

"Sure, tell me the details later Skye. Look, I've got to go. Im on stage now." He says, smiling.

"Okay, see you."

I end the call. My heart racing in my chest. I love Zeke more then anything. But since my mutation has grown I've been jumpy and Zeke thinks i don't love him anymore.

But i love him so much.

I spend my lunch in Stark Industries canteen, Hope sits to the right of me and Lucas is sat with his friends. The smell of roast dinner fills my nose and i smile.

"How was the doctors?" I ask.

"It was alright."

"What did you go see them about?"

"I went because I've been feeling very down recently. With you and dad. I haven't been sleeping, so she gave me some pills." Hope explains.

"You should have told me." I point out, feeling my heart sink a little. Hope is a mirror of me.

"Its not a big deal mum. Im fine." Hope insists.