Surprise

The very next day, I sit down with Henry at the dining table. "Hey, whatcha doing?" I ask him.

He sighs. "Well, I'm trying to write a note for Claire's present."

"Oh. The love letter." I say, smirking.

"It's not a love letter!" Henry exclaims. "I just want to write something nice."

"Saying that you care very much for her?" I ask.

"Uh, well yeah, I guess." Henry stutters.

"Well, I'm doing the same thing." I say.

"Really? For Killian?"

"Yeah. Remember that poem that I told you about? The one that Grandpa read to Grandma at their wedding?"

"Yeah, I think so."

"I'm going to include that in my letter. But I'm also going to put down my own original thoughts. Tell him how much he really means to me. I think Claire will like that too."

"Just spilling my feelings? What if she doesn't feel the same way?" Henry asks.

"Don't worry. I can tell." I say, winking at him.

I get a piece of stationary from my room and take a pen. Without even trying, I pour my heart and soul into that letter. I don't know why it comes so naturally, but I quickly fill the paper and get up to get another sheet for the poem. Finally, I finish and read it back to myself.

Dear Killian Jones,

Before I met you, my life was black and white. The days were a blur, the same old routine, every day. People coming, people going, none of them staying. Of course I was happy with Henry, but I didn't know true happiness. That is, until I met you. Killian, you saved me. You filled my life with a light so powerful I could finally see color. I don't know if it was luck or fate, but finding you in this crazy world is the best gift I could ever receive. You, Killian Jones, are the love of my life. I love you more than you can imagine. Forget to the moon and back, I love you to the end of the universe and back. You don't know how lucky I am to know someone who completes me, for you are truly my other half. You are sincerely beautiful inside and out, and I love you for being you. There's not a day that goes by where I don't think of you. I am eternally grateful that you have stepped into my life. You are my best friend and my soulmate, and that is the best thing to ever happen to two people. I do want a future with you, and I know that with you by my side, the future is nothing to be afraid of. Even though we are apart, you are forever and always in my heart.

I start writing down the poem on the second piece of stationary.

Here's a poem that reminds me of us. It's one of my favorites and it really means a lot to me.

[i carry your heart with me(i carry it in]
BY E. E. CUMMINGS
i carry your heart with me(i carry it in
my heart)i am never without it(anywhere
i go you go,my dear;and whatever is done
by only me is your doing,my darling)
i fear
no fate(for you are my fate,my sweet)i want
no world(for beautiful you are my world,my true)
and it's you are whatever a moon has always meant
and whatever a sun will always sing is you

here is the deepest secret nobody knows
(here is the root of the root and the bud of the bud
and the sky of the sky of a tree called life;which grows
higher than soul can hope or mind can hide)
and this is the wonder that's keeping the stars apart