New York City

I wake up to the sun shining through my apartment window, with the blaring of the morning traffic outside. I check my phone and the time reads 7:30. I get up, take a shower, and get ready for the day. I walk into the kitchen and see that Henry is already awake, playing a video game on the small TV in the living room. "Morning," I say to him. "Hey, Mom," he replies. I start making breakfast. Scrambled eggs, toast with jam, coffee for me and milk for Henry. Once I set the table and serve the food, Henry stops his game and sits down at the table to start eating. I sit down with him.

"How's the game? Beat that level yet?" I ask.

"Yeah, I beat level 20 this morning and now I'm on 21. Thanks again for the present, Mom."

"No problem. Don't you want to invite your friends over sometime? They might want to play too."

"Hmm, maybe." Just then, I feel my phone vibrate. I get it out and see a message from my boss.

Foreign policy accepted this morning!

"Wow, finally. They accepted."

"Wow, awesome! I know how long you were working on that." Henry says.

"Do I really talk about work that much?"

"Well, being a CIA agent is really huge. You're very lucky, Mom."

"Wow, listen to you. Being all grown up." I smile at him, proudly.

"It's true." He looks over at the stove clock. "Oh, it's 8:30. I should probably head to school."

"Actually, let me drop you off today. I'm sure Belle won't mind me being a few minutes late."

"Yay! Thanks, Mom!" He puts his plate in the sink and goes back to his room to get ready. I go to my closet and pull on a thin sweater over my work blouse. I walk over to my bedstand and put my phone in my purse. I walk out of my room and see Henry waiting for me. "You're fast today."

"I'm just excited that you're going to drop me off." He says, smiling. He opens the door and holds it for me. I smile at him and we both walk out the door.

----

After I drop Henry off at school, I drive to the office. It usually takes about half an hour to get there because of the busy traffic. Whenever I'm stopped at a traffic light, I like to look out at the city. The reason why I moved to New York was because of the buildings and the architecture. It's such a beautiful place, especially on a spring morning like today.

I look out my window to the left and I see something rare in this part of New York: a black sports car. I realize I'm staring and I see the driver smirking at me. He's an attractive man in a black leather jacket. He has black hair in a style that compliments his face. He has a bit of a mustache and beard, and his perfect eyebrows are arched, as if he's asking me a question. He winks at me before driving off as the traffic clears. I sit there for a second wondering what just happened, and then I continue driving. I try to forget about him as I head into work, but the way he looked at me made me all nervous and giddy. Stop it, I tell myself. I'm never going to see him again. But a little part of me really hoped I would.