November 24, 2015

#9 November 24, 2015

Dear Wandering Boy,

You went out of town on Tuesday. Apparently you have family in Maine. When I asked you if you liked Maine, you shrugged and said, "I guess I like it just as much as anywhere else." It's this that makes me wonder if you truly like it anywhere. In your first two years of high school, your family traveled a lot, hit all of the tourist spots. Maybe in order to make the claim, "just as much as anywhere else," one would have to see many places. I have never traveled. Maybe because my parents are always busy, or maybe because we could never afford it. Either way, I've never traveled. When I get married, I want to travel. Before he and I have kids or settle down for a while. When I was young, I had pictures this perfect guy. He had dark hair and blue eyes and I named him Will. Maybe by now that idea has changed. At this point, I'm not sure. My parents always told me that I shouldn't even think of dating someone unless I want to marry him and love him forever. I always had a problem with that: commitment. I think that it's hard to know if you could be with someone for the rest of your life unless you know everything about them. Why they stay up late or why they love curly fries. The first time I realized you were seeing someone was when our Spanish teacher asked us about our opinions on that. You seemed uncomfortable with that idea. You protested. A little part of me came alive just as a bigger part of me died. You were like me. Except you were not single. But I do agree with you. Honestly.

Love,

The Girl with the Commitment Issues