Please Don't Take My Sunshine Away

"SHE DID IT!"

The door swung open, revealing a teenage guy pointing at a girl. His dark brown hair was tousled and brushed carelessly to one side. His golden hazel eyes were wide with surprise. Elsa could see his face was well-defined, though he obviously wasn't done growing, judging from his lanky body. His mouth parted. The girl's eyes were also riveted on them. She was pretty. She had high-cheekbones, full lips, tiny ears. Faint freckles sprinkled her nose, fading as they crossed her cheeks, almost reaching her ears. Her eyes were a rich, warm brown. Her eyebrows were missing and a cap was shoved over her head, probably to conceal a lack of hair. Her skin was unnaturally pale. Almost as pale as Elsa's.

"Jack," she—Abitha—breathed, almost inaudibly. 

She made a move to stand, but Jack was by her side in an instant, urging her to lie back down. He leaned lower to give her a hug. She wrapped her thin arms around his waist.

Jamie's eyes were first riveted on Jack, then on Elsa. He cleared his throat awkwardly and she saw his Adam's apple bob. "Uh, Elsa. H-hi." His voice cracked slightly. He cleared his throat again and stood, his gaze flickering from Elsa to Jack and back. "I—We weren't expecting, I mean—"

Elsa inhaled deeply and took a step forward. "You've grown," she noted.

He cleared his throat. "Y-yeah. Teens tend to do that," he murmured.

Jack had pulled up a chair beside Abitha's bed and seemed deep in conversation.

Jamie took a step forward, his arms hanging awkwardly by his side. "Look, I... I'm sorry. For everything. I was just so upset that I-I... don't know. I never meant what I'd said. You were a good sister. And I didn't know that-that—" He continued to fumble over his words.

Elsa took a bold step forward and wrapped her arms around his shoulders. After a few awkward seconds, he returned the embrace.

"I'm sorry."

Elsa hugged him tightly and released him. "It wasn't your fault. And I'm sorry that I wasn't able to spend more time with you... How are you getting along right now? With your parents and everything?"

He shrugged. "Fine. Still busy."

"Oh, Jamie—"

"No, it's no big deal. Besides, I've got Abitha now." He cast a tender smile towards Abitha, who was giggling at something Jack had said. She seemed so small and pale in the large hospital bed.

Jack stood suddenly.

"You have to go?!" Abitha cried.

Jack offered her a weak smile. "Sorry, kiddo. We can't stay for long. We've got some crazy people on our tails."

Abitha's doe-like brown eyes widened. "You do?! But who? Why?!"

Jack sighed and shook his head. "I really don't have time, Abitha." He gently touched her head. "I.. hope you get better soon."

Abitha smiled brightly. "I am!"

Jack raised his eyebrows.

"I'm improving Jack. No one can believe it, not even the doctors, but they said so!"

Jamie nodded, affirming her words. "At first, no one thought she'd make it. She's been off of chemo for a few days now and she's getting stronger." His hazel eyes gleamed with pride and he flashed Abitha a smile, which she returned. Elsa took note of the exchange.

Jack's brows dipped in a frown. "But... I heard your condition had become critical, not that you were getting better."

Abitha smiled wryly. "What? You don't want me to get better?"