A New Job

Elsa heard the sound of ice clanking against glass. Her eyes fluttered open and she saw Jack at the ice dispenser, built in to the fridge.

"Sorry, didn't mean to wake you." Elsa shrugged and laid back down. Jack finished his water and walked towards her. He finally stopped next to the couch, towering over her. It made Elsa feel small, so she sat up. "Would you like to sleep on the bed?"

Elsa felt her body stiffen. Now that they were home would they... would he—Elsa frantically shook her head, pulling her knees up so she could hug them protectively.

Jack cleared his throat. "Elsa... I'd never hurt you. I-I wouldn't even... touch you without your permission." He shyly rubbed the back of his neck. He squirmed a moment in embarrassment. "Please?"

Elsa curled her hands into a fist and uncurled them indecisively. Jack offered his hand to her and, on a sudden impulse, she placed her petite hand in his larger one, surprising both of them. Jack gently helped her off of the couch, leading her to the master bedroom. And, true to his word, he didn't make any contact with her besides holding her hand. He peeled back the covers and stopped.

"D-do you have anything you want to change into?"

"I, uh, don't have any pajamas or anything."

Jack combed his fingers through his already tousled hair. "I bought some stuff. Not a lot though, because I wasn't sure about your size." He eyed her petite frame. "I think they're all too big."

Elsa shrugged. "I don't mind."

Jack gestured to the walk-in closet. "They're over there. And there's a tooth brush for you in the bathroom." Jack seemed uncharacteristically shy.

Elsa nodded and walked into the walk-in closet. After all, that's what they were for. She snatched a pair of shorts and a t-shirt from the shelf before going into the bathroom. She changed quickly, combing out her hair with a thick-bristled brush she'd found on the counter. Elsa brushed her teeth and rinsed her mouth before going back to the bedroom. 

Jack was already lying down. She crawled into the bed, pulling the thick covers over her. Jack placed a hand on her waist and Elsa bristled at his touch. Sensing her reluctance, he pulled away. Elsa relaxed into the cushions. The mattress was so soft, Elsa was afraid it's swallow her whole. Her eyes drifted closed and her breathing evened out. After another hour or so, she felt Jack's hand on her waist again as he pulled her body flush against his own. Elsa remained lax. Jack wrapped a strong arm around her waist and buried his head into her hair.

"Good night, Elsa," he whispered.

And for once, Elsa let him hold her, though he probably thought she was asleep. Elsa indulged in the silly fantasy that his arms around her could protect her from everything. The thought amused her. If anything, his arms would more likely hurt her. The thought saddened Elsa, but she could always pretend. At least for tonight.

XXXXXXXX

"So, Ms. Elsa, what hours can you work?"

"I'm available anytime, though preferably not at night," she responded coolly.

"And have you had any experience with waitressing prior?"

"No, ma'm."

The interviewer shoved her glasses up her nose. "How are you with people?"

Elsa decided a white-lie wouldn't kill her. "Very well."