Chapter XIII Banished

"After the death of Phaethon, the son of Helios, the Arcadia's land was burned.

"Yet Arcadia, above all, is his most earnest care. He restores her springs and rivers, he gives grass again to the ground, leaves to the trees, and bids the damaged forests grow green again. And he came and went upon his tasks he chanced to see a certain Arcadian nymph, and straightway the fire he caught grew hit to his marrow.

"For she had no need to spin soft wools nor to arrange her hair in studied elegance. A simple brooch fastened her gown and a white fillet held her loose flowing hair. A bow in her hand indicates that she's one of Artemis's warriors.

"Nor was any nymph who roamed over the slopes of the mountain in higher favor with her goddess than was she.

"The sun was high overhead, just beyond his zenith, even the nymph entered the forest that all ears had left unfilled. Here she took her quiver from her shoulder, unstrung her tough bow, and lay down upon the grassy mound, her head pillowed on her painted quiver."

The light morning meal was not a strained affair. For some reason, I had imagined that it would be. There were flatbread and vino left over from the previous night—it had been some kind of a gift to the Goddess and she was nothing if not generous, and perhaps they had been drunk last night.

My mind had certainly been a whirl, possibly because of the wine, but mostly due to her. I glanced over, to check the Goddess' expression. Lady Artemis seems pleased, content and happy, but she does not seem to think incredibly much of the breakfast, and I find myself wondering what Lady Artemis was accustomed to in her father's bronze-floored palace.

I must have stolen half-dozen glances at Lady Artemis that day because she caught my gaze. Then I turned away all of a sudden, feeling ancient near the Goddess.

We are sharing a flask when we are drinking wine. I chugged my own sip and passed it towards the Goddess' direction. When it reached her, I watched intently. As those pale lips take a quick sip, it made me think that perhaps Lady Artemis was trying to break me.

Belatedly, I realized everyone was laughing. Someone had made a remark, either witty or inane―either could draw gales of laughter. Hyale was giggling, even the serious Krokale chuckled. My fair Goddess giving voice to her merriment, her clear eyes bright with mirth, and sunlight catching in her dark hair.

Unsteadily, I wondered if it was just a dream.

Over the days, I acted like I am the Callisto I was before Zeus happened. Only this time, I would always pluck violets and place it where Lady Artemis will find. She knows it was from me, for whom else would this be romantic enough to give their Goddess flowers which are not even sacred to her.

But the good does not always outweigh the bad. I experienced some mild cramping, sore, heavy breasts, like that time of the month feeling, I even have some spotting or light bleeding. Weeks passed and I was getting sicker, with all nausea, overwhelming tiredness and uncomfortable feeling in my breasts.