Chapter 34

Derrick was in his office talking with his sister who he asked to stop by for a moment to talk to her.

"As your brother, I'm just showing concern." Derrick said. "Please sit down and let's talk about this." He kindly requested.

Candice sucked her teeth and rolled her eyes before pulling the chair towards her and sitting down.

"We're all worried about you seeing my baby sister in the hospital is something I never want to see again. What if you had died? I'd be going crazy."

She sighed as she lowered her head. "I'm sorry. I was just hurting." She said with honesty.

"You're better than that. You're certainly much stronger than that. You grew up with two big brothers, if there's one thing you know is that, we men can be some stupid dogs at times. Some of us." He explained.

"I know, but when you love someone as much as I loved Sean, it hurts bad."

"If you want to, I can make sure that boy hurts for the rest of his life." Derrick stated.

Candice knew that her brother was serious. Derrick was a smart man. He's very humble and wise, but Candice knew that when someone hurts his loved ones, he could be a beast.

"You, mama, and Angel are three most important women in my life and I never want to see any of you hurt. I saw mama hurt so many times growing up and it killed me because I couldn't do much about it."

She sat in silence wanting to cry, but she held back her emotions.

"Let's make a deal." He continued. "How about, you go see a friend of mine. She's a therapist and if you don't like the idea of talking with her, then I won't ask you to talk to anyone anymore. But," He continued, putting emphasis on that word to let her know that he wasn't finished, "if you don't talk to her, then you'll have to talk to me."

She frowned. "What? You can't make me talk to anyone." She fussed, "I'm fine, I don't need to talk to anyone." She tried to convince him.

"You weren't fine when you got that abortion and tried to sleep it of." He said.

"I tried to talk to y'all." She slammed her hand on the desk. "Everybody was just too damn busy for me. All y'all!" her voice got louder

He was confused.

When I called on my family, the one time I needed someone to talk you, no one answered." She began to cry.

"candy I'm sorry." He felt bad.

He gave her a moment to cry.

"I didn't want to do it, but it was weighing so heavy on my conscience. I didn't want to raise my baby on my own."

"You have an entire family that would have helped and supported you as much as possible. You weren't gonna do anything on your own. You should have known that."

Candice wiped her tears and stared at her brother.

"Just go see my friend." He opened a drawer in his desk and pull owed out a business card. He slid it with his finger across his desk to where it was close enough for her to take it.

Candice eyed the card and with hesitation, she picked it up and read it.

"One time. All you have to do it go one time and if you don't like it, then I won't say anything else about it. I won't pressure you, I just want you to talk to someone. I want you to get the help that you need." He said.

...

Everyday for two weeks Candice would come across the business card. GLoria Fontenot was the name that was bolded on the card with an address and phone number underneath it.