Chapter 10 Part 2

Chapter 10: Part 2 Allison’s P.O.V.

Almost immediately, the door swung open, revealing a tall blonde girl with slightly unfocused eyes.

“Hey, Angela! Sorry I’m late,” she looked questionably over to my side, “this is Nick.” I said.

“Hi, Allison,” she held out her arm and we side-hugged. In our proximity, I could smell the distinct, yet familiar scent of pot-smoke wafting off of her. “Come in.”

Nick and I followed her instruction and stepped inside. The house consisted of a large main-room with high-ceilings and a staircase against the wall to the left. It had a few couches and some other living-room furniture. There was a high-tech looking stereo system that was blasting out new pop songs, top 40 type stuff, and at the end of the room there was a door that I’m guessing led off to a kitchen. Next to that, a sliding glass door that appeared to go out to a deck with a hot tub, judging by the guys standing outside in their boxers. After muttering a distant, “have fun,” Angela quickly left to sit on a nearby couch with some football players who were passing a joint.

I looked around the room to find Brent. There were a butt ton of people around. Some I recognized from other schools, but mostly just the football team, various soccer players, and almost every cheerleader from what I could see.

It wasn’t the first time Angela’s held a party at her house. Her parents seem to go out every other weekend! Not that I’m complaining; her parties are completely insane. Last time I went to one, a jock got completely wasted and managed to find a shopping cart and roll in it off the roof! I am still unsure how he did it or if he’s out of the hospital yet…

I was just about to go to the kitchen to check for Brent when I noticed Nick looked, I don’t know…kind of like a lost puppy. He was scared with wide eyes and his eyebrows were slightly pulled together.

I grabbed his hand and led him through the sea of people to the kitchen, where I hoped it would be a tad quieter.

After pushing through the crowd, we came into the kitchen and to my surprise, no one was in it. Although the music was still quite audible, the room was otherwise silent due to that lack of people.

When I grabbed a beer from the fridge I offered Nick one. He shook his head. I hopped up and sat on the counter top; Nick leaned against it.

“Weren’t you supposed to meet someone here?” he asked me, implying that he didn’t want to hold me back. I made sure to convince Nick that he wasn’t.

“Yeah, but I’ll see him sooner or later,” unfortunately. I took a long swig of my drink.

Nick waited a while before asking, “Who was it,” he paused, “that you were gonna meet?”

“Brent Myers,” I replied, taking another sip.

“Oh,” he responded simply. I couldn’t see his face.

“Yup,” I said, popping the ‘p’.

He took a few moments before speaking again. “Do you, uh,” he audibly swallowed, “like him?”

“No,” I said honestly. It’s strange, I would normally lie about that, but I felt like I didn’t need to with Nick.

His stature changed the slightest bit; he seemed more upright, or something, like my answer made him stand taller. “Then why were you going to go with him?” he asked bluntly with a little more confidence.

I thought about the question, taking another long sip. “I don’t know,” I said distantly, not wanting to give him the full answer. He understood that.