Chapter 6

Chapter 6: Your eyes on my body are keeping my warm, Grey.

Autumn's P.O.V

The house is suspiciously empty.

Where are mom and dad?

My heart beats faster when Holden frowns.

"Where did they go?"

He picks up a note from the dining table and sighs.

"Holden, Autumn, something important came up. Will be back late. Mom." Holden recites and I sigh, collapsing on the couch of the living room.

"I don't know whether to be terrified or relieved." I share and he laughs, nodding.

Austin Grey, my father is a businessman, his work involving hotels and hospitality- the CEO of Acland's Hotels and Spas. My mother, Evelyn Grey, was previously his financial adviser, now the co-owner of the franchise. In February, mom fell sick- we still don't know what it is, but its not getting any better. She has been with nana ever since my father's last deal. I have talked to her a couple of time in the last four months, dad, even lesser. They have a business trip every second week, with mom on leave, my father is almost always in air.

Its not that my parents are all bad- they are controlling. Its like they have planned Holden and my life on their own and none of our desires or dreams have any place, until Holden decided to pursue sports- it's all me following their plan for my life now.

Noises from outside grab my attention and I peep from the huge glass window in the living room. It opens straight into Tristan's garden where I see Isaac running wildly, his laughs filling in the cold September air.

"I will catch you, Isaac!" the voice of Tristan warms my cheek and I bite my lip. Closing the curtain, I return to my room.

I sit on the chair and open my biology textbook, sighing as the diagram of the brain greets me.

I squint at the words and then open my notebook.

Two hours and four lobes of brains later I shut my book, stretching my body. The chair tilts to a point of no return and I fall, my arm hitting the cold marble floor.

Groaning, I rub my arm and push the strands of hair behind my ears.

I squint at the clock.

11:38 PM

If I don't go to sleep now, I will surely wake up with a headache.

Packing my bag for tomorrow, I change into my pyjamas and lie down on my bed, the cold comforter sending shivers down my spine.

Snuggling further, I close my eyes and sigh.

***

I sit up straight as familiar voices interrupt my sleep.

"Its easier said than done, Austin!" I recognize mom's voice and fall back on my bed.

5:58 AM

Great time for a family discussion.

Slipping from my bed, I wear my slippers and slowly open the door, careful not to make any noise.

"Its her final year at high school." Mom reasons and I frown, straining my ears.

"We've already lost Holden, Evelyn. I'm not letting Autumn spoil her life." 

I hear my mother scoff.

So Holden decided to follow his passion and you say you've lost him.