Chapter 22

Jarod was expecting the call telling him that Maddie had reached the City and took the news in his stride.

"They have entered the City and there are thousands of them Sir."

"Tell Patrice that I want to see him in my office."

Jarod was in a relaxed frame of mind while he waited for Patrice.

"You called for me Sir?"

"Yes it is my information that they are moving into the City. It is your job to prevent them from reaching the steps of the justice building."

Jarod knew that his son Dylan would lead them straight to him.

"Yes sir we are ready, they will not get past the Cadets."

Patrice was not as confident as he sounded for he had heard that the Academies would be outnumbered by 10-1.

"If they do then I will hold you personally responsible and they do not look kindly on Cadets from the 1st in Juvi."

"I take it we have the support of the Statepol and the Chancellor?"

Jarod took the question to be a pathetic plea for assistance.

"You have my support and if you do not feel this is adequate then I can easily have you replaced."

"Of course sir, we will not let you down."

Jarod dismissed Patrice wishing that it was Dylan that he was sending out to face the oncoming Imp army."

Patrice though the idea of not using the full resources of the Statepol was a mistake and he was not about to risk the 1st by committing them fully without knowing exactly what he was up against.

"As the leaders of the twenty Academies we have been tasked with stopping the Imp rabble that is moving through our City. The 1st will protect the justice building while each Academy below it will be positioned fifty yards in front of us."

"Patrice I have heard there are thousands heading our way do you not think it wiser for the 1st to lead with all the Academies following?"

"My orders are that they are not to reach the steps of the justice building and I know that they will not get past the 1st that is even if they manage to reach us."

The same voice came back at Patrice.

"So the 20th will be the vanguard while you skulk away at the back hoping to avoid the fight?"

"You dare to talk to me this way Mayer? When this is over I will have you brought before the Chancellor for your insolence."

"It is interesting that you do not mention bringing this to the First Minister who I am sure would love to find out that the 1st led the attack from behind."

Patrice would not be bullied or shamed into changing his plan.

"That is enough you have your orders and I expect you to follow them to the letter. Mayer stay behind I wish to speak to you."

The rest of the leaders of the Academies filed out leaving the two men alone to talk over their differences.

"Mayer we have never been friends and I know that you were friendly with Dylan but the fact is that I am leader of the 1st now and I must do what I think is best."

This just reminded Mayer that Dylan was a much better man than Patrice and would never have hidden behind the rest of the Academies.

"Dylan would have acted differently and yes the truth is that I have more respect for him than I do for you but as leader of the 2nd I will follow the orders given to me but I will be putting in an official report that will highlight my reservations concerning your actions in this matter."