Chapter 7

Maddie hardly slept at all that night in the windmill, what with the crashing news from John that there was no way home for them and the revelation that he had feelings for her. She found her mind could not rest with this knowledge.

Surprisingly it was the idea that John liked her that gave her the most trouble that night and as she walked behind him the next day towards Dylan's camp. Maddie could not help but admire how good he looked in the uniform of the 1st. There was now a quiet confidence in John that Maddie thought must have come from surviving alone in this strange world.

"This is where Dylan found us last time; I hope that he has not moved on."

"I don't think so Lana and I am sure it will not be long before he descends upon us again."

John thought that he detected a note of irritation in Maddie's voice.

"It seems Dylan is not exactly your favourite ex-Cad."

Once again Maddie found herself Impressed by the new Improved John Harrison.

"You know that he was once a Cad then?"

John smiled broadly.

"With that military bearing and insufferable arrogance I would not be surprised if he had been a member of the 1st."

It was Maddie's turn to smile.

"Dylan is not the only Cad that is at the camp you know, it is not unusual for them to desert because they cannot take the discipline."

"Is that right Lana?"

Lana loved that John took such a keen interest in what she had to say.

"Oh yes I would say at least a third of the camp came from the Academies."

John looked at Maddie.

"You see Phoebe neither side is content at the way this society treats them."

Why tell me thought Maddie?

"That has nothing to do with me or you for that matter, in this world or any other you take care of yourself."

A disappointed John turned to Lana.

"Is that right Lana do you just take care of yourself and not give a care for those around you?"

Lana thought about this for a moment.

"If that was right then Maddie would not have helped me and stop calling her Phoebe it is very confusing."

Maddie looked at her young friend and tried to explain.

"I helped you because I could that is very different than looking after everyone, I am not equipped to do that and my name is Phoebe Maddison. Only my friends call me Maddie and John has never been my friend."

Lana thought she saw John wince at Maddie's last words.

"Dylan tries to help everyone that comes to him so if you help him then I think you will be helping us all."

The girl's logic was simple and Maddie could not find fault in it.

"Let's just wait for him to come and fetch you Lana."

They settled in to wait for Dylan to find them.

"You see her point don't you? If we can unite them then we can form an opposition to the State."

Maddie was not convinced by John's argument and thought Lana naïve.

John was the first to be alerted to the fact that they were no longer alone.