Chapter 8

It was only after making the decision to help John that Maddie slept that night and the next morning she was keen to find him. With Lana already up and gone it seemed that Maddie would have to seek John out by herself. As she dressed Maddie thought about what she might say to him and more importantly how he would react.

John was with Lana when she found him and it was evident that he had charmed her back on side.

"I see you two have made up then!"

"Oh yes John was just busy and he loves that I made him a place to stay when he comes back."

"You are going back to your friends today?"

"Yes it has become obvious to me that I am not going to get any help here and there is a lot of work still to be done."

Maddie found that she did not like the idea of John leaving without her one little bit.

"Before you go I need to speak to you."

An Impatient john shrugged his shoulders and turned his back on Maddie.

"You have said enough and I have nothing left to say to you."

An angry Maddie stormed off leaving John with a confused Lana.

"Are you two fighting? If it is over me and what happened then please stop."

John smiled warmly at the concerned girl.

"You needn't worry it is not about you, it is just that Phoebe and I can always find something to argue about."

Maddie was sitting with Dylan when John joined them to say goodbye.

"I am sorry that you will not be joining the fight Dylan we could have used you."

"I like a good fight John but I am not willing to participate in a massacre, my advice for you and your friends is to keep your head down, no-one needs to die for nothing."

Maddie found Dylan's words unacceptable and could not keep silent.

"DYLAN YOU ARE WRONG THERE ARE ALREADY PEOPLE DIEING FOR NOTHING."

Maddie was on her feet now and although she was not shouting she was loud enough to gather a crowd from the camp.

"A YOUNG PREGNANT GIRL LOST HER BABY THE OTHER NIGHT AND BY ALL ACCOUNTS SHE THEN LOST HER OWN LIFE. DID SHE DIE FOR NOTHING AND HOW MANY OTHERS HAVE TO DIE BEFORE YOU ARE WILLING TO DO SOMETHING?"

With all eyes now on Dylan he too stood up.

"We do all that we can but the sad truth is that we cannot help everyone there is just not enough food or medicine for all of the people that come to us."

"In the Capital there are doctors, hospitals and plenty of medicine; no-one dies there for basic lack of medical care. They deny it to you because you are non-citizens, simply because you did not fit in to their idea of a perfect society. You have to fight back or nothing will change and without change then you will freeze in the winter and starve when you cannot scare up enough food to eat this week."

John's words were passionate but they were not enough to sway Dylan who had heard them before.

"An attack on the Capital is suicide and I think you know that John. It may be that we are outcasts and have no access to the riches that the Capital has to offer but out here we are free."

"Yes free to live in hovels, sorry George, hiding from the world while others are preparing to bring the fight to the State."

Maddie was not sure if her voice was being heard until her last statement received a cheer from those crowded around her.