Chapter 20

Jerome had received news of Maddie's incredible feat at Juvi from Mira; the first reports were sketchy but Kara who worked in the communications building in Diverton knew the State would put out their own version cleaned up version later. So she was quite satisfied that the early reports were the most accurate and was happy to relate them to Jak.

After Mira reported back to Jerome he could not really believe that Maddie had been successful but then there were whispers from everywhere that there had been an escape from the prison. The story from the Capital seemed to be that a few Devs had attacked the guards but were quickly contained but underneath this there were rumours that there was a mass escape and that many inmates had lost their lives.

Jerome trusted the information that he was given by Mira and shared it with the village to ready for them for what was to come.

"I have gathered you all here to tell you that Maddison has broken out of Juvi and is Marching to the Capital with the Majority of the poor souls that have been languishing in that hell hole for years. When the time is right I will lead those of you here who wish to come with me to join her and together we will enter the Capital to negotiate a fairer deal for all on your behalf."

Most of the village cheered at this news but Lana had more questions.

"When will we join Maddie?"

Jerome was irritated at the question and her use of the name Maddie.

"When the time is right that is when we will join with Maddison and the others."

Lana was about to ask another question until Raea put her hand upon her shoulder and shook her head.

"But he did not really answer me."

"I know and he has no intention of giving out any further information or answering any of your questions."

Lana was not quite so easily deterred and once the meeting was over she followed Jerome to try and find out more.

"Is Dylan with Maddie and how far away is she?"

"Lana you have not co-operated with me all of the time you have been here and refused to answer any of my questions, tell me why should I answer any of yours?"

"Because Maddie is my friend and when she gets here she will want to know that you have been kind to me."

Jerome was not impressed by Lana's argument.

"You have a place to sleep, food and as far as I can tell you are doing very well in which case I think you have been treated with great care now run along."

Lana was beginning to hate this big man that would not tell her what she wanted to know and was not afraid to tell him.

"You are just a big liar and I would not believe a word that you told me anyway and her name is Maddie no matter what you call her."

Lana stormed off after this little tantrum and went to find Raea.

"Have you heard anything more Raea that big ape won't tell me anything?"

"You were foolish to think that he would my little friend but I have had a talk with Tariq and he says that we will be joining your friend when she sends word to do so."

"Is that all he told you?"

Raea was reluctant to tell Lana everything but thought she deserved the whole truth.

"He said that she had a small army following her that numbered in their thousands and he also said that a lot of people were killed during the escape from Juvi."