Chapter 16

As they left the Forum Maddie felt the heavy weight of defeat and could only console herself with the fact that soon she would see John again. It would be too cruel to be taken to the Capital and for them not to let her see him one more time at least.

"You are Maddison?"

Maddie turned to face the voice that came from behind her.

"Yes I can see that you are the girl I have been told of."

Maddie knew straightaway that this was Jasmine and did not need Jinn to confirm it for her.

"Yes I am Maddison and I assume that you are Jasmine."

A beaming smile escaped from the tall brown skinned woman whom Maddie estimated would be in her late thirties.

"Your assumption is correct young lady and may I say that I am very pleased to see you?"

Maddie could feel the warmth from Jasmine and sensed that she was genuinely pleased to meet her.

"Thank you this is Dylan and Jinn my friends."

"You did not look too friendly a moment ago Maddison."

Dylan was looking at the Jasmine's entourage when he assured her of their friendship.

"Just a minor disagreement, we have come here together to help those of you in here that want to escape."

Jasmine's smile diminished as she replied.

"Escape from here is not possible for the majority of us, if it were we would not need the help of three such as you."

"Jinn spent time here and escaped so it is possible to leave here."

"Yes Maddison it is possible if you are young and small like Jinn to just walk out of here as the guards do not tend to shoot children. I can assure you however that if I attempted to do the same I would be shot instantly."

Maddie felt the hopelessness of the situation overwhelm her.

"Then we have come here for nothing and wasted our time and yours."

"Don't feel so bad Maddison I am sure that we have much to talk about and I would love to have you as my guests for the night."

Maddie had no idea what she would talk to this woman about but the invitation was gracious and she was hardly in a position to refuse.

"Thank you we will stay the night but then we must get back to the Capital."

Dylan did not look happy and was reluctant to waste any more time in Juvi.

"We should leave now there is no point in staying here a minute longer than we have to."

"Nonsense Dylan you are my guests and one more day cannot possibly make a difference."

Feeling more like Jasmine's prisoner than her guest Dylan felt he had no choice but to comply.

"So Jinn you have been here before tell me did you join the Devs or were you a scavenger?"

"I did whatever I had to when I was in here so I listened to the Devs avoided the 5/7s and stole whatever food I could get my hands on."

"A scavenger then and that is just fine with me when I first got here I too scavenged for food without joining any of the groups in here."

Maddie was fascinated by the almost beautiful Jasmine and wanted to know more.

"How long have you been in Juvi Jasmine?"

"I have been here for nearly fifteen years now Maddison and all in all I would rather be on a beach in Saint Tropez."

Jasmine flashed a knowing smile at Maddie after saying this.