Chapter 18

Jerome and Tariq's journey back to Fermar was an uneventful one. They travelled through the night taking turns driving the old truck.

What do you think of this Maddison then?"

"She is a means to an end and nothing more."

Jerome went silent for a few moments before continuing.

"If she does not get herself killed in Juvi and does actually free the prisoners there then we will be able to use her to strengthen our position against the State."

"What then?"

"Then we improve our lives and bargain our way into becoming citizens."

"They won't make all of us citizens and what happens to the rest of the Imps."

"They go back to their miserable lives while we live in the Capital and Maddison quietly disappears."

Tariq was not really happy with Jerome's plans but he could see the practicality of them.

"You don't think that maybe we have a chance to change things here for everyone."

"Now you are talking like John and you should know that I was just humouring him and his ideas of revolution."

"But if she breaks into Juvi and is successful surely that would mean something."

"It just means that they would make the security there stronger and no-one else would ever escape. Look Tariq I am nearly twenty years old, I should have been thrown in there already and the only reason that has not happened is because I have made myself useful to them in the village but that won't last forever. I need things to change or I will end up in Juvi like every other Imp does when they get to my age."

"I know I am pretty close to being sent there myself and Raea too."

"Raea will do nothing to help herself and as for you if everything goes to plan I will be taking you with me when I become a citizen of the State."

Tariq was still not entirely satisfied but he had always followed Jerome and he would do no less now.

"If there are no patrols we should be there in an hour or so."

Jerome knew exactly how long it would take and was mildly irritated by Tariq's unnecessary commentary.

"Just wake me when we arrive."

It was first light when Tariq pulled into Fermar and woke Jerome.

"We are here and there were no Cads on the road all the way."

Again Jerome found that Tariq stating the obvious irritating and wondered if it was a good idea to take him into the City with him.

"Yes Tariq I was there and I saw that the road was clear so I suggest you go get some sleep and stop telling me what I already know."

Tariq had always taken orders from Jerome and was used to his mercurial nature.

"I will see you later Jerome do you want me to have Raea released before I turn in?"

"No I will do that you go get your rest."

Jerome had no intention of releasing Raea just yet his first thought was to get some rest himself but before he could do that he would send a man to Diverton where he had contacts with access to communications and have them monitor Maddison's progress.

"Jak I need you to go to Diverton and talk to Kara for me, I specifically want to hear about any word from Juvi, take someone reliable with you and send them back immediately you hear anything."