Chapter 12

Dylan said goodbye to Lysette in private knowing that she would not tolerate any display of affection in public.

"Whatever happens Lissa come back to me safe?"

"I will always come back to you so stop being such an old woman about this and come join the others."

"Wait I need you to know that without you by my side there is nothing else that matters to me."

Lysette knew that Dylan thought he was being genuine but if he truly meant what he was saying he never would have left the 1st.

"You will be fine just as you were fine when you left me at the Academy to come play leader of the Imps."

Dylan looked genuinely hurt by Lysette's words.

"You know I would have come back if you had not followed me and that I could not ask you to leave with me, no I could not ask that of you."

More words thought Lissa just more words, Dylan was good at talking.

"You could have stayed and worked things out with your father but you chose to run away and hide."

She was being overly harsh and she knew it but Lysette could not help it.

"I don't want to argue with you before you set off Lissa but it does seem that we need to talk about this some more."

"There is no time now but if you want to hear what I have to say then I will be happy to talk when I return."

It was typical Lissa thought Dylan.

"I will listen to whatever you have to say and what you have to say means the world to me."

Dylan took Lysette in his arms and held her there for as long as he could.

"Time to go we are losing daylight."

John and Maddie had been waiting patiently for Lysette when she joined them with Dylan.

"I see you found him some clothes to wear! He looks more like an Imp now that we have taken the uniform from him."

John did fit in with the rest of the camp with his worn and ill-fitting garments that Dylan had scrounged up for him.

"Thanks I think I look rather elegant myself."

A confused look between Dylan and Lysette told John they did not really get his humour.

"Elegant you look like a horses behind."

"Thanks Lana you always know just the right thing to say."

The laughter at John's expense did not really bother him if anything it diffused the tension that surrounded them.

"What about the girl she stands out in those clothes we should make her change too."

Lysette was of course right but john strongly disagreed.

"No Maddie stays as she is, we are taking the back roads and will not be seen if we are careful."

"Why take any chances when it is a simple matter to find other clothes for Maddie?"

It was a reasonable question from Dylan.

"Because Maddie will be the inspiration that unites us all against the State and she needs to remain true to herself."

Lysette was not convinced that you needed a particular set of clothes to be true to yourself even though she only ever felt comfortable in the uniform of the 1st.

"It is your decision but if she gives us away and there is trouble it is on you and then it is everyone for them-selves."

That was clear enough thought John, any trouble and Lysette was gone. It was good to know and he admired her straightforwardness in telling them.