The Middle: Here

"What is going on here?" Jaxon asked before I could even get a word out. Even he knew that this whole situation was down right ridiculous and inappropriate. The woman bowed again, this time in front of Pattie and her husband. They nodded to her and my grandma cleared her throat whole turning to me. "Chanel, remember when I told you that your mother would like to step in and be apart of your life?"

"Yes." I said. I was in complete shock. Nothing could make this moment worse.

Then, Jason McCann walked in with Stormy quickly on his heels. He chuckled as he got all of the attention from the women in the room; of course. When he was finished flirting with everything in the room but the decor, he walked over to where the thrones were. He stood in front of Justinan's and smirked at me. "Date stood you up, hm?"

"Not now, Jason." I mumbled and turned my attention back to the problem at hand.

Grandma Connie extended her hand out to me and I quickly took it. "Chanel, please do this for me. Your mother here, she wants to be apart of your life now. She wants to get to know you and have you know your siblings. I know when she's being genuine."

"My real name is Constance. I had you when I was very young and couldn't take care of you properly-" She said in a thick accent. Sounded like she was straight out of a GQ magazine article.

"I waited so long for this moment, your highness." She bowed before me but I lifted her up softly. "You don't have to do that."

Before she could speak again I turned to my grandmother and Pat. "I need some fresh air, guys. I'll return shortly."
I didn't wait for them to respond. I jetted out to the balcony as fast as I could.

"If you keep breathing like that you'll hyperventilate." A voice from behind me said. I heard the crackle of a cigar and then the smell hit me.
"Leave me be, Jason. I wish to be alone."

He took a puff of his cigar and blew smoke back out of his mouth. "I've waited so long to have this time with you, Chanel."

He raised his hand to his face and caressed his own cheek slowly

He raised his hand to his face and caressed his own cheek slowly. His gaze never left mine. "This balcony hours?" He asked, inching closer to me. The closer he got, the closer I backed away. I nodded. "Yes, this'll be my part of the palace once I'm queen."

"Hm-" He said. "Interesting."

Jason leaned over the balcony a little and took another puff of his cigar. "I've been meaning to talk to you."

"About?" I questioned.

"We never talked after that night in the club with my friends. You backed away from me when we could've been good friends. Maybe you wanted Justinan, that's fine. They all do. But you didn't have to drop me completely. I was willing to be your friend."

"Yeah right" I scoffed. "Friend isn't even in your vocabulary, asshole."

"Ouch." He said, this time genuinely looking upset. "I'm serious. I wanted to be apart of your life."

"I wanted you out of our lives. Funny how nothing matches here. Justinan wanted you gone weeks ago. Months even. The moment you stepped through that door I knew you were absolute trouble. Hell on legs."

"You don't mean that."

"I mean that deep down in my heart, Jason. You're nothing. You're not welcome here once I become Queen of France. He will make sure of it as well. You've already caused enough tragedy as is."

"Me? Cause tragedy?" He chuckled. "You haven't even seen tragedy yet.." He continued to trail on, breath smelling of cigarettes and disappointment. "Besides, shouldn't you be more concerned about what Justin is doing tonight, that is your major saving grace correct? One wrong move and you're out of the door like-"

"AH! Jason," A woman in a long, blue gown stepped from behind the curtain of the doorway. Her voice sounded almost disgusted, spiteful if you will. "Still belittling your family I see. Tell me, dear, is he bothering you?"

I took a sip of the champagne from my glass and shook my head no. "On the contrary," I chuckled. "Jason is absolutely a bother but it's nothing that I can't handle." The woman laughed at me and continued glaring at Jason. "He's a bit much when it comes to not getting his way. I apologize on his behalf."

Jason, as usual, scoffed.

"Whatever. I just hope you know what you're doing. Your precious king isn't all he's cracked up to be and you'll soon find out just what I mean, Chanel. Justinan has shit-"

"Silence." I heard from behind us. Justin.

My heart began to race and I slowly turned to face him.

"You've said enough" He said to Jason. "I'll handle you later." Then, he turned to me.
"Chanel, a word."

This didn't sound good.

——-
Author's note: Ok ok don't kill me...it's been 5 years I know. I'm sorry 😂 I got writer's block one day and then the next thing I knew I was graduating college and didn't have time to finish the book. But here we are, here I am. Much older. Better grammar. Let's finish this thang y'all.

Love always xo