46 - Dance Your Pants Off

Start from the beginning

Jesus Christ what a nightmare.

Everyone is decked out in black and red and 'Pirates' apparel. Like there's shit tons of bandanas, eye patches, I saw one kid dressed as Jack Sparrow sauntering around yelling about rum. Parents are all in it too, I cannot tell you how many terrifying screaming mothers I've heard and seen!! It's crazy!! I'm completely serious about 'terrifying' when I describe these women, I bet each and every one of them could fight a shark and come back with a tooth necklace. 

"Scarlett, what's going on now?" I ask, tugging on Scarlett's sleeve again. I've bugged her repeatedly the entire game but she's been angelically patient with me. 

Her 'eye black' is smudged down her cheeks from where she'd grabbed her face in frustrated horror when we'd fumbled the ball just eight yards from the endzone in the third quarter (and the 'just eight yards from the endzone' was straight from Scarlett, like I'd know what terminology to use!! Ha!). But she answers me calmly. "Time out. Bulldog's coach called a timeout. Probably going to do like a weak kick off to see if they can recover the ball again."

Her words roll right over my head again, but I nodded anyways. Even if she went into a detailed explanation I wouldn't honestly care all thaaaatt much.

Looking down on the field, our team is huddled up into a big mass of red jerseys around the coach. Close to coach Dickenson I can see Sebastian, his helmet off, looking sweaty and intent. He'd been a decent part of the game, though (from what Scarlett had said) Welmont is also a very good team, their record nearly identical to ours, so he couldn't completely dominate like in recent games (ha!). I'd told Scarlett how much I wanted to see him get his ass completely rolled, but she said that it wasn't very likely. From what I'd seen he'd mostly just helped chase down and tackle the Bulldog running backs and receivers, and only once had he broken through the line to harry their quarterback. 

"Ashleigh! Ashleigh!" It's Farida's voice, and she's looking past me to Ashleigh who looks up from her phone. She must've gotten the picture she needed (it was a cute picture to get, her brother and her boyfriend standing together).

"Hm?" 

"You and me gonna storm the field at the end of the game right?"

Ashleigh's bright blue eyes blinked wide. "What? Why just you and me?'

Farida gestured at Scarlet, me, and then Quenby. "These losers have to get to Trolley's to get ready for Coronation right after."

Well fuck. Now my night's ruined.

Yes yes yes, that little reminder just completely ruined my night - not like I was having the most fun at a football game to begin with - but I just wanted to die right then and there. Why Farida??? Whyy? Why would you remind me when it had been shoved to the back of my mind for a time...?!

Ashleigh's eyes widen and then she's looking up at Quenby, looking like a betrayed puppy. "What?"

Quenby gives what I think is the most remorseful look I've ever seen on her face, and it's still just barely recognizable (the girl's face is made of stone, I swear to God), and says, "I can go down for a bit because my hair is done, but we can't spend forever out there. Mrs.Hartford would whoop our asses if we're late."

Scarlett speaks up from beside me, "We can go down for a little bit too, our hair is done!"

Yes, you heard correctly. 'Our' hair. 

When Quenby spoke of her hair being 'done', she means it is curled to blonde perfection. Beautiful big lazy ringlets soften her stern face and shine under the stadium lights. If she didn't look like she'd cleave your damn skull in half with a fucking battle axe all the time I have a feeling more guys would be after her (yet Quenby seems content without male suitors, probably because she's waiting for some Marine or someone equally badassly intimidating).

I'm The Geek Who Slapped A Football Player.On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara