Drabble #20 - "Lydia, she's been crying all night. Okay?"

Start from the beginning

Stiles lingers, kissing her back in a way that he hasn't been able to in days. Not that he didn't want to, or Lydia for that matter, but they've both been busy and up at different hours of the day just a little bit too much lately. "Hey."

"I miss you," she whispers as if he'll be gone again soon and he just might, her thumbs brushing his cheekbones as she keeps him close. "We miss you."

Stiles lets out a breath. "I know." As if on cue, the baby a little louder again. Stiles starts rocking her, moving away from Lydia to wander around the kitchen. "Hey, daddy's home," he murmurs to his little girl. "It's okay."

He kisses the baby's forehead and Lydia melts, literally feels herself swoon. If she knew that Stiles with a child would be such a heartwarming thing to watch, she would have gotten pregnant much, much sooner. Yet, it's not enough to stop her from worrying. "Really, Stiles. You need to rest, you should go back to bed."

"I'm not going without you" is his immediate response, and when he says things like that, so effortlessly, it reminds her of a time when it meant so much more, when the other being there was on the verge of being an illusion, when they almost lost it all. He knows it as well as she does and so an almost shy smile escapes him, thinking that ten years ago he could have never imagined he'd be married to his other half, a perfect baby girl in his arms the result of their unwavering love. "We'll put her to bed and then we can go, okay? Together. But if you want to, you can go to bed now. You need your rest too."

Lydia tests the temperature of the formula on the back of her hand, making her way towards Stiles when the bottle is ready. She shakes her head. "No way. When did you get home?" she asks again, concerned. He's been sleeping less and less lately.

"About an hour ago...?" he replies sheepishly, scratching the back of his neck.

"Stiles..." she admonishes, noticing how tired he looks, the bags under his eyes doing nothing to hide it.

"I know..." he repeats. "But-"

"No buts. You have to be up at seven," she murmurs, hushing the baby as well. "You need to rest-"

"And so do you. You've been with Ellie all the time. I want to help too."

Lydia sighs, starting to make her way to the nursery with Stiles in tow. "I know that. And you do."

"Not as much as I want to."

"You have work. Very important work that requires that you have to be up early tomorrow-"

"Actually, I have news," he tells her, holding Ellie protectively against the crook of his neck, her tears wetting his pajama shirt. The closeness, after a moment, seems to quiet her cries almost completely.

His words make Lydia stop on her track and turn around in the middle of the hall. "Good news?" she asks hopefully, and when he nods Lydia gives him a grin like he hasn't seen in quite a while.

God, she's beautiful.

He feels breathless all of a sudden. "I- I caught him, Lyds. I caught the leader of the gang. It's over."

"Stiles!" she cheers, shortening the distance between them to give him a hug. "I can't believe it. I'm so proud of you." She feels him grin against her temple and she can't help but to smile bright too, joy winning her over. "You did it."

Stiles nods enthusiastically. "I did. And it was awesome, Lyds. Dad said I did really good, that he hasn't seen such a brilliant plan in action like mine in years."

"Looks like you did well, Deputy Stilinski," she whispers seductively, smirking, grabbing at his shirt for leverage and planting a smooch on his lips. "I'm so happy for you, Stiles. Why didn't you wake me up to tell me when you got home?"